Author Topic: When to stop PU/PD  (Read 1389 times)

Offline HappyIrishMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 22, 2017, 13:19:54 pm »
Hi there,
I'm on day one of EASY with my 17 week old daughter - am embarrassed to say I've ignores her sleep issues for this long and only looking to rectify things now  :'(
I have 2 questions on the PU/PD method -

1. How long should I continue it? Today my daughter woke 40 mins into each of her naps and an hour later I'm still going PU/PD. Should it abandon it at some point or continue until the whole 2 hour period is up?

2. If she settles when I put her back down, do I stay beside her until she falls asleep or do I leave the room?

Thanks so much for your help! The book was a revelation to me, so helpful so far!

X

Offline HappyIrishMama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:07:08 am »
Hi there - would anyone have any guidance on this part of PU/PD? I'm dreading facing into another day of it  :'(  :'(  :'(

Thank you!

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 16:54:28 pm »
Hi,

Was PU/PD your first course of action?  Here is an excellent resource for PUPD... especially adaptations.  If I remember correctly, the ideal phase for pu/pd is around 6mo-10mo or so, then adapted for older kiddos.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=275699.0

I would set a time limit of 1.5 hrs max for sleep help efforts. So if you're trying to settle her after a 40 min nap, try for another 30-40 mins, and then stop. After a few times of PU/PD, try a lean in and pat approach where you're so close to her, like hugging her, and gradually withdraw your touch.  I used PUPD along with GW... so started with PUPD, then went to patting (less and less of it), then staying in the room and saying comforting words, etc...

Yes, I would stay with her and every day move a little farther and farther away from her bed. The second she calls out for you, go to her and pat (not pu/pd) and see if she settles. After a few days, don't respond to her right away, but count to 5, then 10... and so on. (Unless she is full crying, then go to her and respond either with a pat or comforting words).

I'm sure you've read about all these methods, but just a reminder that you might have to adapt and include other ways since she is much older. My son responded well to key phrases eventually... "It's sleepy time. Mommy is right here."

Hope that helps!

Offline HappyIrishMama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 21:25:13 pm »
Ginger - thanks so much for your response. Really appreciate it!

Yes, PU/PD is the first course of action. I decided to take action at the weekend and perhaps jumped on PU/PD too soon? If the ideal phase is 6-10 months then at 17 weeks she might be slightly young.

I'll try some of the approaches you suggest below and will also have a look through some of the other threads on alternative methods.

My little one is teething pretty badly at the moment so it's like a perfect storm!

Thanks again

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 12:33:20 pm »
OH I must have read this late at night! I thought she was 17 MONTHS, not weeks!!! Yes, 17 weeks is still very young and at 4 mo, sleep tends to get wonky. 

Hopefully once the teething passes, it'll be easier. There are other methods to try for sure at this stage as well... here's the link:

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=253430.0