Author Topic: Having problems with 2-1 transition  (Read 1342 times)

Offline tulips99

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 25, 2017, 23:57:20 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am new to this board and we're having problems with the 2-1 nap transition.
My baby is 19mo, almost 20mo old.

Previously he was napping 1-1.5hrs x 2 (around 10am and 3:30pm). 
We've been trying to transition to the 1 nap for almost 3 weeks now, and we're still knee deep in the transition.

I can't get him to sleep longer than 1.5hrs.  And today, he only slept 1 hr.
We were able to eliminate the EW and NW by instilling an early bedtime, but I can't get him to nap longer than 1-1.5hrs.

Schedule:
7am: wake
11:30am: nap x 1-1.5hrs
6:30pm: sleep (previously he was sleeping at 7:30pm but we had to move it up since the long awake time was causing EW + NW)

It's been like 3 weeks now of this transition and we're still not settled.
We use white noise, blacked out room, etc.

Do you think it's just a matter of pushing the nap later? to like 12 or 1pm?

TIA!

Offline choc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 06:51:36 am »
I would definitely move the nap later, maybe by 15 mins every couple of days? At the moment he seems to have a short first A time and then a long second A. He may be ut for nap.
Gemma

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 15:44:34 pm »
Hi tulips... I posted to this post in naps.  We'll go ahead and lock that one and continue here.  I'll copy paste.

Offline ginger428

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 15:46:02 pm »
Hi tulips, welcome to BW.

It's typical for the one nap to shorten with the 2-1 transition. It usually does lengthen, from my personal experience and also from other parents here. Yes, I would work toward at 12 nap by extending 15 min every 3 days or so.  We were in this transition for a very long time, in that we were working towards a 1pm nap- a natural consequence as they get older and need more awake time from wake up to nap.  Sometimes, we stayed at 12:00 or 12:30, depending on how overtired he was.  Throw in teething (canines and molars), and separation anxiety, etc... and it felt like we were always working on some aspect of sleep. I think by 2.5 we were at a 1pm nap, and by 3yo 1:30-2pm naptime.

Around this age, sleep needs start to change... most of the time the overall sleep time shortens.  Over time, it can lengthen again, but it depends on the child. What was the average total sleep length before the 2-1 switch for your son? 14hrs?

It looks like he's sleeping 12.5 hrs at night, and 1-1.5 hrs for nap, so 13.5-14 hrs total.  This is actually great for this age, unless your son was higher sleep needs. You may find that as he gets older, he will drop his total sleep to about 13 hrs, and once nap is gone, 12-13.  You may also find that as you move closer to a noon nap time, his nap extends. And once it does, his night might shorten. If his nap does extend to 2 hrs let's say and ends at 1:30 or 2, you can adjust BT accordingly... closer to 7:30.

Offline tulips99

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 18:29:23 pm »
Thank you ginger428!

He is/was a high sleep needs child (total sleep used to be 14-15hrs/day) and so I was worried that previously he was napping 2-3hrs per day and now he's only napping 1.5hrs that he wasn't getting his nap needs met leading to being OT/cranky.

None of my friend's or coworker's kids seem to have difficulty with the 2-1 transition and so I felt like we were doing something wrong.

We were able to do 12 noon nap times over the weekend and he was able to sleep 1.45hr yesterday. It's harder for the nanny to keep him up until 12 noon during the week since there's less going on.

Will try sticking to 12 for now and will cross my fingers that it will lengthen to 2 hrs eventually

Offline ginger428

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 21:47:17 pm »
Fingers crossed and best wishes!!

It's hard when other families don't have the particular sleep issues we do (I felt like I had ALL of them! Haha). But it really could be anything... I know siblings with almost identical routines and such could vastly differ.  Remember you're awesome and doing the best you can... ;)