Author Topic: 2-1 Nap transition??  (Read 2030 times)

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2-1 Nap transition??
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:48:28 am »
Hi my LB is 11months old and we seem to be having a bumpy ride with naps lately.

His usual routine is (or was):

WU 5:45/6:00

S 9:30-10:45/11:00

S 14:30/15:00-15:30/16:00

BT: 19:15/30

His morning nap has pretty much stayed he same lately but he is fighting his afternoon nap and I'm finding he wants the nap much later in the afternoon- closer to 15:30/16:00...but this is too late in the day for a nap. To solve this I've been letting him have a CN at 15:30, never letting him sleep past 16:15. Which seemed to be working, if it just left him a little groggy and sleepy through tea time. There have been the odd day where this hasn't worked, and I've done an early BT (18:30/19:00) with no afternoon nap.

Now the last few days he doesn't seem to be tired by his usual 9:30 nap. He's not hugely fighting it yet, but the signs are there...he'll toss and turn and kick around for up to 15mins before falling asleep. This morning he hadn't even yawned up to 9:30 so I left it until 10:00 and he fell asleep immediately without fuss, until 11:30.

Should I start pushing his morning nap later for a 2-1 nap transition? If so, what do I do about the afternoon nap in the mean time? Is 11 months a bit early for one nap? I'm worried that he will become OT.
Also looking for advice on how to work E around a midday nap? As he current has a snack after his nap at 11ish and then lunch at 12:00-12:30. Obviously eventually he may be napping at this time and I'm not sure what routines people usually follow at this age?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:02:33 am by JCN »

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 15:08:51 pm »
Hi JCN!

It seems like he just needs a push in his A time.  I wouldn't rule out 2 naps yet, until you've tried lengthening his A time.
I would aim for this routine for a few days and see how he does...

WU 6:00
S 10-11:30
S 3:30-4
BT 7:30

He is a bit young for the 2-1 transition but we also started around 11 mo. It was almost another 6 mo or so until he actually went to one nap. It was a long transition for sure, with a LOT of trial and error and adjusting. Yes, you will eventually find that the morning nap will be later and later, and more resistance to the pm nap.  For this, we eventually did a cn in the car or so at 4:30/5:00 pm (Yes! that late) for 15 mins to get him through to BT around 7:30.  But of course each situation is unique.

Here is a great article about the 2-1 that explains possible scenarios:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=163278.0

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 2-1 Nap transition??
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 17:50:19 pm »
My LO started the 2-1 transition at 9 months. As PP mentioned, it can be a long transition.

In our case, LO already preferred a long AM AT, so we worked with that (moving nap slowly closer to mid day)

We also had to APOP (nurse to sleep) to get a PM CN. We got to the point where LO would nurse at 4:55, then CN for 20 min and BT at 730. She was happy with that for almost a month. Now she is fighting BT, and fighting her CN again.

We have just moved to 2.5h mid day nap 1130-2:00 *crossing our fingers*

We definitely had/still have some trial and error with this transition.
Good luck :)

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 13:34:12 pm »
Sorry for my late reply - little man has justvstarted child care and it's wreaking havoc with his sleep as they can't seem to keep to his nap times!

On the 4 days where he is at home, our old routine seems to be working again for the time being but will keep your advice in mind if we start to see that resistance again.

Struggling with EWs at the minute and frequent night wakings so wondering if he's getting too much day time sleep? It's difficult to tell with the disruption to his routine in child care st the moment, but I t was happening before he started there.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 15:11:47 pm »
My LO really only has EW when she is OT.
Is he napping much at daycare? You said they have not been following your suggested nap routine.

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 13:38:23 pm »
He isn't managing to stick to his normal naps - they take the kids out and about a lot which is great but he's too nosey to sleep in a pushchair.

He's also doing it on days at home too though.

I've tried altering his bedtimes to as early as 6pm on some days to try andcounteract the over tiredness but nothing is working.

I'm at the end of my tether. Last night he was up every hour and just would not settle.

I did ssssh pat when he was younger to enable him to self settle and extend naps.
I've tried gentle sleep training at night - which worked for a short time before I needed to repeat it. I've now repeated that 4 times in 3 months.
I've stuck to 3-4hours awake time to help him extend naps.
All of the above worked a treat.

Now, it doesn't matter what method I use when he wakes or naps- he isn't seeming to settle at all.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 14:21:54 pm »
Does the daycare have a scheduled mid day nap? Does he sleep then?

It may not be ideal but have you been able to push AM AT to try and get a longer mid day-ish nap? What would you estimate is his total daytime sleep?

If he is not getting much sleep at all during day even an early BT might not solve the OT problem.

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 14:48:33 pm »
Daycare have a scheduled after lunch nap time (12:30/1pm) but put them down for a sleep whenever they think they are tired. They asked me for his current nap patterns but  he seems to be sleeping all over the place and not around these normal times at all.

On a normal day, he will sleep 90mins AM nap and 60mins PM nap. Sometimes it's a little more or less on each one. In day care he's having around 45mins in the morning and then maybe another 45mins in the afternoon. He never seems to be able to comfortably sleep more than 9 hours at night. He's always very unsettled and wide awake after that (regardless of day time sleep, BT time etc)

I'm at a complete loss at the minute. We had such a good routine (which I obviously knew would need to change at some point) and then he cut 2 teeth which really upset his sleep and then he started nursery and that was 2 weeks ago and here we are - sleep deprived OT and in a vicious cycle!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 15:13:25 pm by JCN »

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 17:17:09 pm »
Hugs
It sounds awful! Teeth can really screw things up.

It is unfortunate that the daycare isn't being more consistent.  It is hard to pick up a pattern.

Usually if you have a routine that has been successful when nap changes occur you can adjust AT and have a lot of success.

Two 45 min naps sounds like he is having 2 UT naps, and OT nights due to short naps. I have found the older baby gets the less reliable sleep cue alone are.

If the daycare is open for it, I would give them specific times to put your guy down (the last known successful routine) then when we have consistency again, you can make the appropriate AT changes.

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 19:10:20 pm »
Thanks. Unfortunately I've already tried this. On settling in I was asked to give nursery his current routine but they are saying he's getting tired before his usual time, so they are putting him down for sleep earlier than his usual 9:30/10. I've explained that he rarely naps very long at this time (I especially emphasise this if they comment that he didn't sleep well) but they consistently put him down at 8:30/45 as they say he's very tired by that point. It could be that ha tiring quicker while he's there as more active than at home but the length of his naps is suggesting otherwise.

I'm then finding it hard to adjust A time for his BT and then the whole. Ugh this ruined.

We have 4 days together per week where he's not in child care and I'm hoping to tweak something on these days to help?
He's currently still going for apps at 9:30 and 2ish but only for an hour each and is then becoming increasingly unsettled from as early as 2am and almost always 4am. So going to try pushing am nap back to sleep 10:00 and see if this helps.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 20:47:29 pm »
I am sorry to hear the daycare is not being cooperative. That is so frustrating. Hopefully he will settle in at daycare and not "seem" so tired.

With the 4 days at home you may be able to make some adjustments.