Author Topic: Settles for naps but not for bedtime  (Read 1382 times)

Offline cabingirl159

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Settles for naps but not for bedtime
« on: August 27, 2017, 01:35:49 am »
DS is 6.5 months - I tried him with shh-pat around 4 months and it was working, but then we moved and things got crazy.  We have now been working on sleep for about 2 weeks. After 8 days I saw a real improvement in naps. He has taken short naps (35-45min) since he was 3.5 months old and still does, but now he can settle himself to sleep (I used to rock him) typically in less than 5 minutes with little to no fussing. Win! BUT he is a different baby at bedtime! Usually takes 20-40+ mins and I have to practically lay in the crib with him to comfort him. For naps I stay in the room but sit out of his sight.

We're also having trouble with NW, I suspect the issues are related. He wakes about 5 times, I used to nurse to sleep since it was easiest and fastest, but this week I am trying to wean that. Currently feeding 2/5 times. I should also mention he uses a pacifier. I honestly am too tired to summon the will power to wean it! He can replug about 90% of the time, so for now I'm going to leave it!

I think he is overtired from the short naps?  His sleep signals are unreliable. Until very recently I was trying to put him down after just 1h30m A time because he was showing cues. Luckily I found the A time by age post, and increased it to 2h30m, that's when I saw the big improvement in going down for naps. He also just made a 4-3 nap transition last week.

Our EASY varies because he doesn't have a consistent wake up time (ranges 7-8), but here is a pretty typical day.
E  7:30 wake and eat
A   (2 hours)   <<gets pretty fussy if I try to extend this
S   9:30 nap 1
E   10:15 wake and eat
A   (2.5 hours)
S   12:45 nap 2
E   1:30 wake and eat
A   (2.5 hours)
S   4:00 nap 3
E   4:45 wake and eat
A   (2h45m)
E   7:00 Dad gives a bottle then DS and I have ~10min of quiet time
S   7:30 sleep

Thank you for any insight!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Settles for naps but not for bedtime
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 18:52:38 pm »
Hi there and well done on making such amazing improvements!  Must feel great :)

I suspect your issue here is still one of UT, actually.  I know he's only just made the 4-3 but I think you are pretty deep in 3-2 territory and he's just UT at bedtime.  By 6-7 months many LOs are headed towards 3h A time - not that I'm suggesting that you head there immediately!  But now your LO has caught up on a good bit of sleep it's likely the A times need another push to keep it going in the right direction.  This link has some really good info - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=246541.0  Have a read and then let us know if you have any questions!

Offline cabingirl159

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 20:26:35 pm »
Thanks for your reply!
I did read the link, but I'm not totally sure if it applies to us?  Since all of his naps are 45 minutes max, I feel like only taking 2 a day would turn him totally mad.  I do agree I need to push his A time to 3 hours, that's my goal.  Maybe once he gets to 3 hours bedtime will go smoother?

Any thoughts on the night wakings? Probably a combination of habit and pacifier, right?  I really don't think I'm ready to wean the pacifier...is there anything else I can try that might help that?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 15:32:38 pm »
I think the reason you are getting so many 45 min naps is probably the A times are too short :)  Vicious cycle!! 

I'm not a great one to ask about the pacifier as never used one with my kids, but I think around 7-8 months they can learn to replug themselves?  Possibly just hang in there if you aren't wanting to wean?