Author Topic: 2 YEARS OLD & will not nap!  (Read 1419 times)

Offline kristeno

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 30, 2017, 21:27:34 pm »
We just went through the sleep regression about a month ago. She turned 2 a few days ago. We have just transitioned her to a big girl bed. She goes to sleep at bedtime in about half an hour with daddy laying with her. But naptime is horrible. She will play & fight naps, no matter what we do for 1-2 hours. Then it's too late for a nap. IF she falls asleep, we have to wake her up & it's only been 15 min. I cannot do this anymore. Here's what is SUPPOSED TO BE her routine:

WU: 9
N: 215
WU: 345
BT: 1015

Here's what we're ACTUALLY doing, due to no nap:

WU: 9
Fight about nap: 2-4
BT: 9

I know that's a super late bedtime, but when she wakes up at 9 or later, it's hard to force her to be tired any earlier. Do we push naptime out 15 min? Do we all wake up earlier & get her up in the morning? I'm at a loss & can't keep dealing with an OT toddler who will not nap.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 2 YEARS OLD & will not nap!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 23:45:19 pm »
Hi - if a 9am wake up is what suits you and your family then I would stay with that. I would push naps time later, or if she is not napping then even earlier to compensate for any OT but in all likelihood this is the 2 year regression playing havoc with her sleep. Keep trying the nap but don't force it (i.e. don't take 2 hours of trying - it will make you all stressed!) an then in a few week it should settle down and the nap should be back although it could well be later as she drops her sleep needs with it xx

Offline kristeno

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 01:46:09 am »
So we should try to push naps 15 min or so until we hit the "tired time"? I'm concerned that it'll get too close to bedtime.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 07:44:30 am »
When Olly dropped his sleep needs it would always happen in 15 minute increments! I would push the nap back by 15 mins but then wake up time would still be the same and then BT would be the same too. xx

Offline kristeno

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 15:16:05 pm »
Okay! So we're likely looking at our LO not needing a nap soon, so we can push it back more & more? Eventually, nap will disappear.

I forgot to say on my first post - sorry! - that on the days she doesn't nap at all, she doesn't sleep well at night. Last night, she woke up 6 times, looking for daddy. On days she naps great, she doesn't wake up. Do you think we're still looking at eradicating nap or do you think she's OT?

Thanks, by the way :)

Just a bonus question here.. any tips on keeping a newly transitioned toddler in her bed? Now that she can get up, my husband ends up laying with her much longer than it used to take because she's so distracted.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 18:33:59 pm »
Yes - that is the plan!

I would say OT - 2 YO is still young to drop the nap and so I really do think it will come back for you!

eek - no sorry - only just to keep any intercaction to a minimum so you can do some gradual weaning when she is more used to it xx