Author Topic: Are all night wakes created equal?... Trying to pin down cause  (Read 1684 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Are all night wakes created equal?... Trying to pin down cause
« on: September 09, 2017, 11:23:38 am »
This may be an extension of another issue (2-1 transition) but it feels different...

I have been battling the 2-1 transition for a couple months and with help from members here I was able to hold on to the 2nd cat nap for some time. Now, it is extremely rare to get the 2nd nap even with APOP (maybe once/week). I have accepted this fact and have tried to prepare myself for some crankiness and disturbed nights.

Up until this point my LO has been a good night sleeper, aside from cutting new teeth or an occasional off routine day.

We have had some OT nights during this transition phase. It has always manifested as an EW or 1-2 brief NW that she usually will settle on her own. They tend to sound like an abrupt cry out then mantra/moan she will usually have her head down and eyes closed.

To curb the OT during this period I have been putting LO down early for BT and generally it has been working.

Now, the last couple nights LO has had multiple NW 4-5 most of which require some brief settling, the crying is harder and she is squirming around some. It does seem like she might be uncomfortable?? I did notice some increased gas the past couple days (not sure why).

This may be a silly question, but am I right to suspect that these NW are if a different cause than OT? Or is this just another manifestation of OT?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Are all night wakes created equal?... Trying to pin down cause
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 21:46:44 pm »
To be honest I feel this one is down to your mothers instinct - it is obviously telling you that something is up with her, rather than the usual OT which you almost have pinned down now - what do you think? Trust your instinct? xx

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 23:37:46 pm »
I had myself pretty convinced it was gas, now tonight she is fighting BT so hard. Standing, cruising, crawling... But crying too.

Now I have no clue

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 23:59:52 pm »
What's her routine like right now hun? Any teeth on the move?

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:52:31 am »
6:00 wake/BF
7:00 breakfast
8:15 small snack
10:45 lunch (trying to push to 11:00 to match daycare)
11:30-1:30/2:00 nap (2-2.5h)
1:30/2:00 BF (soon to be weaned)
3:30 snack
4:55 BF with attempt at APOP for cat nap (rarely works anymore)
6:00 dinner
645-7:00 BF/BT

She has been on this routine for a while only difference being that a couple weeks ago she would take the cat nap

Teeth are possible, she has 6 and her drooling and teeth clenching/grinding is pretty bad... Have not seen and white or swollen areas yet.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 12:03:56 pm »
I ask about teeth because it does sound pain related to me, if she's squirming around and crying out.  I wonder if a dose of pain meds before bed would help.  How old is she?  Routine looks good, if you've just dropped the CN you might want to shorten her day just slightly, but nothing really jumps out.  Eventually pushing the nap later will help bring her WU later too.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:52:31 pm »
Have you tried new foods with her recently or increased a particular food. I know my DS1 didn't deal well with orange foods & they increased his gas.  It might be worth keeping a food log to see if there is a possible link to a food
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 13:47:43 pm »
Lindsay27: She is almost 49 weeks. We we're doing 645 BT for a bit which seemed to work well, then yesterday she she fought BT hard.

We stopped BT meds last week from her last teething, but I guess it is sort of non stop at this stage.

The daycare that she will be starting in a couple weeks does 11:30 nap time, so I have sort have held her at that time for a bit. But I do have a meeting with them in a week, so I will see how flexible they are with naps. :)

Katet: I actually have been thinking food... I was suspecting something to do with her frozen BM. I posted something in the breastfeeding forum wondering about that. I will see what people think :)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:25:19 am »
My DS1 and frozen BM didnt work so it could be that. Not sure what it was but every time we tried frozen defrosted milk we had an issue... mostly refusal to drink so stopped doing it.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05