Author Topic: Very active and happy 6 month old  (Read 1582 times)

Offline MelanieD

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 04, 2017, 16:37:38 pm »
Good morning! I have a very active 6 month old who crawls and stands. She will be quite drowsy and when I lay her in the crib she often pops right up standing and laughing. She very rarely cries in the crib until right before she falls asleep (and then may need only a few put downs. Occasionally a pick up). I started the process three days ago and I'm not sure if I should be putting her down every time she stands up or if I should let her go.

Second question- she very sweetly likes to fall asleep holding my face or my hand. I am assuming this is a prop and should be discouraged. Am I right in this ? She has not taken to a lovey yet. When I put my hand on her chest she wants to hold it. Any suggestions?

Last question- for now- my sweetie is still having 2 night feeds at inconsistent times. She is not taking food yet and will take full feeds both times at night. I have started feeding her in a quiet room without distractions. I am waiting to night wean for when food is established. Would you agree?

Right now I'm pretty strictly following the "schedule" suggested in the book for introducing EASY to a 6 month old. She is responding well- I believe she will be a baby that will take a few more days. It's a hard balance of encouraging self soothing and nurturing her individual needs. Any recommendations are very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Very active and happy 6 month old
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 18:53:25 pm »
Hi there :)

Your DD sounds a delight!  Always nice to have a happy baby :D  Though not when you want them to sleep....

Before you started EASY what was her usual routine?  I'm wondering - is the routine you are trying the one which has 2h awake time and 2x2h naps and a catnap?  If so, that routine is ok for a 4 month old but needs some adjusting for an older baby to give longer awake times so they are properly tired for sleep - one of the common reasons for standing/laughing when putting to bed is that they are just not tired!

Yes if she sleeps holding your face or hand, that's a prop - even if it's a cute one!  In my experience you can 'choose' a lovey for them though ;)  Just pick something you like and keep putting it in her hand at sleep time.  You can even hold it in your hand if you use a muslin/blankie and hold her hand through it so she can feel you there but will get used to associating the lovey with safe sleep times.  Hopefully that will transition her away from needing your hand.  The more 'rip the plaster off' approach though, which in some ways makes more sense if you are using PUPD, is just to stop offering it.  Lie her down in the cot and step back so it's not an option for her.  You may feel that seems a step too far though in which case a more sensitive/gradual approach is fine.

In terms of night feeds I entirely agree with you :)  2 night feeds is entirely reasonable at this stage.

Let us know if we can be of more help x

Offline MelanieD

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 20:20:01 pm »
Thank you so much for responding. I want so badly to do this correctly and consistenly. I understand all babies are unique so it is helpful to have a forum of informed mamas to ask. Sorry for the lengthy responses- I am just eager for help and guidance. I want to do right by my daughter.

Before I started EASY she would nap around 9ish, 12ish, and 3 ish. She was taking 45 minute to 1.5 hour naps. Bedtime was originally 7 but she had been showing tired signs around 6 (once she started waking up every 2 hours at night 2 weeks ago) so we started her bedtime routine at 5:30-6 now. She would eat when she woke up from naps and 2x at night. She will seem exhausted before he little body hits the crib- then she is up and ready for action. I find that if I talk or touch her too much it revs her up even further. Right now I've been staying in the room and repeatedly laying her back down. This morning it took 30 minutes. Then she complained for a couple minutes and went to bed for 1.5 hours. . The mid-day naps she has only slept 30 minutes since starting eASY. And it may take N hour of consistent put downs before you get the 30 minutes. Then she is up again- this time cranky. At night since starting she is passing out immediately after being put into the crib. Last night no put downs necessary- but slept fitfully all night

This is my first child and there is no shortage of accidental parenting that went on here. Much in line with attachment parenting. She spent most mornings from 5-7 in bed with us from 1 month - 3 months. When she turned 4 months she was spending increasing amounts of time in bed with us bc she would wake up constantly. At 5 months I said something needs to change and she went into her crib full time. Until 3 months she was taking solid 2 hour naps.

She has hit milestones early across the board (gross motor). I'm not sure if that helps or doesn't matter.

I will definitely get a lovey and be consistent with giving it to her. Thank you!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Very active and happy 6 month old
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 18:30:24 pm »
This morning it took 30 minutes. Then she complained for a couple minutes and went to bed for 1.5 hours.
When that happened how long had she been awake in total?  I think this probably says that she needs some longer awake times though..

Before I started EASY she would nap around 9ish, 12ish, and 3 ish. She was taking 45 minute to 1.5 hour naps.
I think that was probably a great routine for a 4-5 month old, but now she is older she probably needs to move towards two naps instead of three.  A 'standard' two nap routine would be 3h A time, nap 1.5h, 3h A time, nap 1.5h, 3h A time - although it does take a bit of time to get there.  There is some good info about the 3-2 transition here - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=246541.0 

Are you generally using set (clock) nap times, or are you working on A times at the moment?