Author Topic: F2S...where is the line?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
F2S...where is the line?
« on: September 06, 2017, 12:28:11 pm »
Hello everyone! I'd like to know what you think it means F2S..I'll explain: DS2 is 6wo and quite the sleepy feeder, and even though I try to wake him in the process (sometimes I interrupt feed, change him and resume) he still falls asleep quite often, even if he's just woken up. He was quite good at self-soothing to start with but lately has only managed to fall asleep with a dummy or breast. I suspect it's because of gas or reflux related pains, as he keeps kicking his legs and will settle better if swaddled and with a hand on tummy. Yesterday, however, he would only settle if held on his side. Now, if he seems asleep when I stop the feed, but still stirs and complains a bit when I put him down (and I give a dummy or use shh-pat if my toddler is not interrupting), would you consider it F2S? Also, I don't seem to ever manage to squeeze in a second catnap after bath before the second cluster feed, so he's OT and falls asleep for sure. I've read somewhere that "there's a difference between feeding to sleep and feeding at bedtime" - so if he goes to sleep on the breast at this point, is it F2S in your opinion? I'm trying very hard not to do that but i'm not sure where the limit would be..

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: F2S...where is the line?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 13:16:18 pm »
I think the simple answer is if he falls asleep feeding, he is feeding to sleep.  However it is very common in the early few weeks and as a wise health visitor once said to me - it's only a problem when it's a problem :D  The reason that we suggest to start separating eating and sleep is that LO can become dependent on the breast to fall asleep, and struggle to fall asleep in any other way.  But for some babies that can take time to establish.  You could try maybe doing a nappy change after a feed before you put him down?  Might wake him a little or at least stir him so he isn't fully asleep when he goes down?

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 02:49:58 am »
Thank you for the reply! So far it's not really a problem  :) and that's what i meant...so even if he does fall asleep while feeding (or burping), if he's not all floppy and stirs or slightly open his eyes or anything else before I put him down you think it's ok for keeping feed and sleep separated?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 14:08:47 pm »
I think it's ok for now, but would work towards putting down more awake when you can x