Author Topic: Isn't shh-pat a prop?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline JoseCorteReal

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 06, 2017, 18:37:04 pm »
Hello

I read the how to shh pat post and got confused with the part you are supposed to only stop after the baby is asleep. Doesn't that make me a prop?

Anyway, it works very well with my 13wo DD.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Isn't shh-pat a prop?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 18:54:22 pm »

Offline JoseCorteReal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 20:08:28 pm »
Thank you!

It did help but the line is very thin, isn't it? It seems like it's a manageable prop which you can easily remove.

My wife doesn't like the idea of putting our 13wo on her side for the night. After my DD is in deep sleep I can roll her onto her back, right?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 14:05:53 pm »
I think your wife is right and sleeping on the back is what is now recommended from a safety point of view.  You can either shh pat on the side and then roll her over, or just adapt shh pat to do it with her on her back.  It doesn't have to be 'by the book' exactly - with one of mine I shhed and stroked his head, and with the other I lay a hand across her nappy area and patted the opposite hip.  Both worked :)

Offline JoseCorteReal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:24:35 am »
So, now me and my wife have been doing shh pat for 5 days.

First 3 days were fantastic, DD went to sleep very fast. Now she seems to have learned what is going on and fights the sleep: cries, skwirms, falls asleep to wake minutes later. Sometimes she looks like searching for more comfortable position...

My question is, is this because she is only 13wo? Should I persist for some more weeks (even though it can get me an hour of wake and sleep until profoundly sleeping), or should I look for something else?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 18:56:07 pm »
I think at this stage success 'some of the time' is pretty good :)  It can take time to really settle in but I did find quite a difference from 3 to 4 months with both of mine.  Ay chance she could be uncomfortable for any reason or overtired when you pit her down?

Offline JoseCorteReal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »
Hello

Right now is pretty difficult for us to get her to sleep. She seems to learn our "tricks" and starts to resist them. Had to change to pat in the diaper instead of the back because she started to arch her back, like trying to avoid the pat!

It is taking us always at least 30 min to get her to sleep and many times the falls asleep only to wake up 5 min later (which is usually solved with some more patting to eventually fall completely asleep).

We have been struggling with the A times. The first cues for sleep (yawn usually and only) show up at about 45 min awake which does not match with her being 3 months old. At this point we go for low profile walking around the house looking at our plants and photos. Then, by the 1h 5-10 min we start to wind down. As soon as we prep the stage she starts to whine - this girl doesn't want to go to sleep!

Anyway, it has been difficult to be persistent but we are hoping that in the next 4 weeks her self soothing skills improve and things will eventually fit.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:13:01 am »
Just a thought but my DD when younger really did not get on with long wind downs. She would know she wasn't ready to sleep and it would turn into a fight. What worked far better for her was to only take her to her room about 5 mins before I expected her to go to sleep. Super short wind down - into sleeping bag, lights off, song with cuddle and then down and she would be out almost immediately. Maybe worth trying that?

Offline JoseCorteReal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 11:09:09 am »
Definitely worth trying.

We really need to grasp this because know she is demanding to sleep on our chest. This is a major regression for us but we are not making a drama out of it. Maybe this is a one step back to move forward in the next weeks...