Author Topic: Do longer naps mean longer waketimes?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline jacks0928

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 07, 2017, 01:15:45 am »
Hi,

I was just curious if my little man has a long nap (2+ hours) will that increase his next wake time? It seems I can get the morning one(s) down to a science but come the afternoon, they are a mess. Thanks so much!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Do longer naps mean longer waketimes?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 02:44:17 am »
Compared with a 30-45min nap, yes. a 2hr nap will enable a slightly longer A time. Would you like to post your EASY and we can help iron out the wrinkles? Afternoon being a mess can be normal, especially early on but sometimes it becomes a mess when its time to increase A times / drop a nap, so knowing your baby's age will help too.

Offline jacks0928

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 13:05:09 pm »
So sorry...He is 13 weeks old and as of 10 weeks old has gone to 30 and 45 minute naps. He was on a 3.5hr schedule but since spurt and wonky naps he has regressed to 3 (before this nap thing he could sometimes go 4 hrs). He also started waking up ready to go at 5:30 as of late. We are a mess in terms of the schedule because of these 30 minute naps (I cannot get him passed). Tried WTS, sshhpat, rocking, swinging anything and everything. I will post the last great day he had (fluke) and yesterdays. I just recently read that he wakes at 5:30 I should treat as a night feeding so that is something that will need to start tomorrow (if he does wake). Also he has has more success with a wake time of 1hr 20 but it is not consistent. Another note, the first feed I nurse. The rest he is bottle fed with mixture of formula and BM.

September 1
E 7
S 8:15 (out by 8:27)  woke up 45 minutes later- 9:13

E 10
S 10:33 (out by 10:43) 1hr 40 minutes - 12:22

E 1:15
S 1:45 (out by 1:58) 45 minutes

wouldn't take another nap but was able to sleep that night from 7:05-6 the next morning

9/2 tried to use same schedule with but got nothing but 45 minute naps.

9/3
WU 6
E 6:30
S 6:45 (out by 7:03) 1hr 30 min

E 9
S 9:45 (out by 9:55) 1 hr 45 minutes

E 12:15
S 12:55 (out by 1) 45 minutes

E 3:15
S 3:25 (out by 3:28) 45 minutes

Also what causes a 30 minute one? Is it overtiredness or under? Any advice/info you can share would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Offline jacks0928

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 21:05:05 pm »
Here is today's schedule thus far....

He slept last night from 7-5:30am.  I tried to get back to sleep but ultimately could not so he had a long first wake time. I knew this so acted accordingly

WU 5:30
E 6:45
S 7:38 (out by 7:48) 2 hour nap....he was going to wake up at the 30 min mark so I applied pressure and shhh to get through. Took about 20 minutes.

E 10:15
S 11:03 (out by 11:12). 1 hour nap...same thing happened above but woke up when I took my hands off at the 1 hour mark. Left for two minutes and was screaming bloody murder.

E 12:50 (only thing that would soothe him was the bottle)
S 1:45 (out by 1:55) 45 minutes

Fell asleep again at 3:45 for about ten minutes.

E 4
S 4:55 (out by 5) waiting to see how long...

S

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 21:26:39 pm »
Ok, so you're really mostly noticing the changes that happen as a  baby 'wakes up' from that newborn phase where sleep is relatively easy for most babies.

As a general rule of thumb, 30min naps are overtired (so holding your hands on him / shush/pat when he stirs should help him resettle as it did this morning). As he gets used to sleeping through those transitions, things will get easier but he's learning a new skill, so give him some help and some time. Pushing that first A time a bit is also a good way to approach the waking at 5:30am - it should bring it later if you stay consistent.

45min naps tend to be undertired or developmental (45min is the average sleep cycle length and so getting back to that light sleep, lots of things can cause a LO to stir and wake) and can be a bit more tricky to resettle. Given he can get through and sleep for an hour+ here and there, I would say UT is more likely in your LO's case right now.

At this age, average is 1.5hr A time, so starting with that and observing for a few days if probably a good way to work out where to tweak the routine. Honestly, what you've written there is actually pretty reasonable for a LO this age. They're babies, not robots and your day 9/3 looks pretty good.

Offline jacks0928

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 23:11:54 pm »
Thanks so much for your help. I will give him 1.5 of wake time and see how that goes. Should I start right from the first waketime and keep it consistent throughout the day?

Thank you again.

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 07:05:05 am »
Yes, try to keep it consistent through the day. You can reduce A time to 1:15 or so if he has a short nap.