Author Topic: Standing in cot, stopped self soothing for naps and bedtime  (Read 1485 times)

Offline zoemcn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Standing in cot, stopped self soothing for naps and bedtime
« on: September 19, 2017, 13:07:16 pm »
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any advice or similar situation to us?

Our 9.5 month old girlie has recently started standing in her cot and not going to sleep by herself. She has been self soothing for naps since 6 months and she had just managed to self soothe at bedtime and then this happened! She just flips over and stands up again and again. She also wakes early from naps.

I have read that we should just keep laying her back down again and again but I have a couple of questions on this..

- will she not then become OT and then it'll take even longer? Then her timings will be all over the place too..
- do we stay in the room during all this or leave?
- do we wait for her to be whining before we do anything?

Current 'routine':
7ish wakes
7:15 ish bottle
8ish solids
9:30 - 10ish nap
12/12:30 solids
1/1:30 - 3/3:30 nap
3:30 bottle
5pm solids
6pm bath
7pm in bed

Until the weekend it had been working perfectly!
Currently we are rocking her and the patting her (if she doesn't flip&1st and) to sleep which I really don't want to go back to!

Any advice VERY welcome!

Thank you!!!!!
Zoe

She struggles to sit down on her own in the cot so we will keep practising this.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Standing in cot, stopped self soothing for naps and bedtime
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 14:12:06 pm »
This is a fun time!!
First thing I would recommend is increasing her AT awake time. It seems to be a bit low for her age (3-4h avg). It is very likely that she is UT for her naps. So even though she has independent sleep skills she is just not tired enough to settle and wakes early for same reason.

Now that she is practicing a new skill it is even more important that she be good and tired for sleep!!

As for the standing, there are a couple options here. First I would give her lots if practice during awake time. I would spend a good amount of time teaching her to bend her knees from standing position.

As far as putting her back on to her back continually, that is an option. I found that the combination of appropriate AT and lots if practice would reduce the amount if standing time my LO would have. I only would go in and help her down if she got upset. If she was happy standing I would leave her too it (see if she could get down on own). Worst case I would put her on her back 1-3 times max but not immediately. I would always give her a chance to do it on her own and when I did put her down I would help her to do it but bending knees. With all of this the standing instead if sleeping stage for us was short lived...

Good luck!!

Offline zoemcn

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 06:49:25 am »
Thank you very much for your reply! We have extended Thea's awake time a little and she is going down a little easier for naps now. Still standing up but have persevered with laying her down again and she eventually gives up.

The new challenge is night wakings. She is waking and taking about 2 hours to re-settle. It's very hard work and only seems to settle when we give in and give her milk.

She has a persistent cough that I'm getting checked out at the Dr this week and has yet ANOTHER cold which isn't helping I expect.

All the books etc tell you your baby shouldn't need night feedings by this time (9.5 months) and I agree but she takes a full 5oz!

Do I continue this and reduce by 1oz each time?

Thank you!

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:56:17 am »
Books often tell you about ideal state. Can 9 month+ babies go without night feeds, yes many can in ideal conditions.

A sick baby, a baby having a growth spurt, a baby who has had to deal with lots if change or baby that is not eating enough during the day will more likely want a night feed. If you can rule those things out you can try reducing amount offered at night as you mentioned, just be sure to offer that extra amount during the day.

Is she upset for those 2 h at night?

Offline zoemcn

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 21:16:28 pm »
Thanks again for your support!

She is actually quite playful during her night wakings. She cries for us but once we're there she is happy and very awake. We attempt to settle her but after she's up and down for around 1 - 11/2 hrs we give her milk and depending on her cough/snuffles maybe some calpol.

Her appetite has been up and down recently and sometimes doesn't really want her supper even though it's something she usually likes. I had thought a tooth might emerge but nothing yet..

Thanks Zoe

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 22:57:49 pm »
My LO is working on her 8th tooth and it still surprises me every time.

My LO went through a phase when she woke and happily played in her crib in the middle of the night. I do believe it was when she was reducing her daytime sleep need.

If she was happy we ended up leaving her to play and she would fall back asleep. At first it was over an hour, but it got shorter and shorter.

Offline zoemcn

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 13:51:49 pm »
Thank you for your reply LaraAndrea! I hope the self play in the cot will be the next step! Currently she is only happy if we are in there with her. It took 3 hours to settle her properly last night. She would go back to sleep with me there but the minute I got back to bed, she was up again!

Tooth, separation anxiety, general development...I don't know what the problem is but it started very suddenly and I hope it disappears the same way. I am just concerned we will then have lots of sleep props to deal with!

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 16:15:04 pm »
Separation anxiety is common at this age. I am not familiar with the suggested techniques though.