Author Topic: 16 week old waking every 2 hours at night and short naps  (Read 5452 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 16 week old waking every 2 hours at night and short naps
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 21:41:33 pm »
With a 1:10 nap first up, he's maybe a little UT hence waking, so if you extend that first A time a little (eg. 10min), you may find he doesn't need resettling and can do 2hr thereafter. With 2 30min naps, he was OT at BT so that's the likely cause of the 8pm waking. Its possible the DF disrupted his sleep and caused some of the NWs as itwas shortly after resettled at 8pm.

Offline meld16

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 07:16:11 am »
Ok thanks I'll try 2:10 for the first awake time and see if that helps.

Sorry for so many questions. Yesterday he woke up at 9 pm after being put to bed, so I fed him then rather than resettling and then doing DF at 10. He then woke up at 1 am and was cooing in his crib. We could not settle him with shh/pat and ended up feeding him. Is it normal to bounce back and forth between 1 and 2 feedings at night? It just seems like he is so inconsistent and I can't figure out how to best respond to help him sleep.

He's also started to want to eat more frequently during the day again (2-3 hrs). Could this be impacting his night sleep?

Offline meld16

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 19:36:07 pm »
Tried the 2:10 awake time before first nap and he woke up after 30 minutes crying. Tried 3 times to resettle him (he fell asleep in my arms but then woke after being put back in crib). I kept the next awake time to 1:45 as he was clearly tired. He then had a 1 hr 10 min nap and woke up crying. He was resettled after about 15 minutes of holding in arms and patting in crib.

Last night he woke at 1 and 4:30 and fed. He also woke briefly at about 3 and 6, but cooed a bit and went back to sleep.

I just can't seem to figure out how to time his naps or nights and he always seems to be over tired by the end of the day. We are trying to encourage independent sleep but when he is overtired it takes longer to settle him and more time in our arms.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 21:44:38 pm »
Tried the 2:10 awake time before first nap and he woke up after 30 minutes crying.
This is pretty classic of OT nap - can be OT because A time is too long or because he's so used to the shorter A time. If its due to habit, if you can resettle (which means being beside him from ~25min into the nap to resettle when he's first stirring rather than going in when he's upset) for 2-3 days, usually the nap will extend fine thereafter. Best to resettle in the crib to reduce the likelihood of him waking when you put him back down again.

We are trying to encourage independent sleep but when he is overtired it takes longer to settle him and more time in our arms.
This is normal. He's still very young and things will be different each day.

FWIW, some babies do cry when they wake - mine did during certain phases. For him, it was a shouty cry that I came to realise was just "Hey! I'm awake and you're not here. Come get me up!" rather than anything more sinister. He has no other way to communicate with you, really.