Author Topic: Fighting mid-day nap- HELP PLEASE  (Read 1230 times)

Offline MelanieD

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 11, 2017, 18:32:38 pm »
Hello, I've been doing EASY and specifically PU/PD with my 6.5 month old daughter for 10 days. There have been many improvements!!! There have been days where I could lay her down drowsy and walk out of he room as she fell asleep, and other days where she fights sleep every step of the way. She is crawling, started cruising today, and standing so when I put her in the crib she frequently pops up into standing or sits up. We have tried 2, 2.5, and 3 hour wake times. She typically does well in the morning (60-90 minute nap and wakes up happy) and may go right down or have to be PD a couple times. The mid-day nap she will fight for 45 minutes to an hour and then sleeps 30-45 minutes and wakes up crying. At this time I'll do PU/PD until her next feed or until she starts hungry crying (typically 15-30 min). She's fighting the catnap in the evening as well so we upped her bedtime from 7pm which was probably too late for her to 6pm which she doesn't fight. She will be up for 3.5-4 hours prior to bedtime which seems like too much. She also went from waking up twice a night (5 hours in between each) to nurse to every couple hours the past 2 days. She also fought the morning nap the past two days which typically she goes down quite easily. Yesterday we tried a longer wake time and today we went back to 2 hour which due to her activity level seems to be better for her. She is still not really eating food (we're working on it).

Typical day:
Wake 6:30 happy and playing in crib
Eat 6:30 Solids 7:30
Nap  8:30-9:45- wakes up happy and playing
Eat 10:15/10:30
Nap 12:30- fights it and wakes up furious
Eat 2:15/2:30
Eat 4:30
Bedtime routine: tub 5:30, Eat 5:45,  bed 6:00)
Wakes twice to nurse

I know it's a lot of info, sorry about that. I'm in this for the long haul and I'm staying the course but would love some feedback/advice. Thank you so much for anyone who can help!

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 22:30:51 pm »
Hi MelanieD,
Waking every 2 hours at night is probably the 6 mo growth spurt.  If it doesn't return to normal in 3-5 days, let us know.

I think she might be undertired for the second nap.  I would also try 2hr15min to make that first nap around 8:45, then push the pm nap closer to 1pm, (awake time 3 hr in pm) keeping BT the same. It's typical for babies to have longer/shorter awake times as they progress through the day.  Unless you've tried this already?

=)

Offline MelanieD

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 23:37:46 pm »
I will try it tomorrow. I have not tried that combination. It's interesting to note she fought bedtime tonight as well and she hasn't don't that since day 1 of EASY. I'm not sure if she is overtired from poor afternoon nap today or if it might be the growth spurt you are thinking it to be. I'm a little discouraged because just 2-3 days ago she was doing beautifully. I'm sure it is something I'm doing.  ugh! Thank you for your suggestion.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Fighting mid-day nap- HELP PLEASE
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 02:51:56 am »
Hi, you've had great advice from ginger :)

Just wanted to add that a regression around 5-7 days into sleep training is to be expected, so you may just be seeing that. Keep up the consistent approach and things should come good.