Author Topic: 11.5mo still not sleeping  (Read 1473 times)

Offline leesa001

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2017, 18:13:17 pm »
My ds is now 11.5mo.  He is a grumpy baby.  He is slow to change, very persistent, refuses to give up, and when he cries he is very intense. 
He goes down for naps fine, and after tweaking his awake time, he now goes down for bedtime nicely.  Its overnight where I have a huge problem.  He was always waking every 1-3 hours, but most recently upon putting him back down he will wake within minutes of noticing that I am no longer in the room.     
NW usually involve me nursing him, or giving a bottle (if its been at least 3 hours) or patting his back to get him nice and sleepy again, PD and he would just roll over and fall asleep on his own.  Now he will wake up within minutes of putting him down.  If I try to put him back down, He will roll over, sit up, stand up, and scream at me (regardless if I'm in the room or not).  This will go on for at least 1-2 hours before I will try nursing or bottle feed him again desperately hoping that he will finally fall asleep.
He can't self soothe himself at night, it seems, or he wants to be close to me and fall asleep on my chest.  This never happened before.
Last night, this went on for 2 hours, then I had to take him out of the room,  sit on the living room sofa in the dark, where he just rested his head on my chest and finally fell asleep.

I am going back to work in 2 weeks.  This has to stop.  Its as though he has separation anxiety? 
Oh, and he won't allow my husband to put him to sleep.

Our typical day is:
w 7
A 7-10 (3hrs)
S 10-12
A 12-3/3.30  (3-3.5hrs)
S 3-4
A 4-8 (4hrs)
Sleep by 8-830

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline annakenrick

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 20:33:40 pm »
Hey there , sounds like you are having a hard time!

I'm no expert but after reading more on here I would say his activity time is quite short for his age. My lo is turning 10 months this week and we are pushing him to 330-4 hrs in the morning and between his naps.  I also cap his naps at 2/230 hrs. I either wake him after around 1.15 or if he has big morning nap I just give him a short afternoon nap or vice Versa.
I've also brought bedtime forward as he seems to wake earlier if I make the gap between Nap and bed too long.
I'm looking for advice about early morning wakings so if I get any other tips I will let you know!
Good luck!!

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 11.5mo still not sleeping
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:56:34 am »
I agree with pp. My first thought is that AT may be a bit short and you may have a bit too much daytime sleep.

You have such a beautiful AM nap, maybe try pushing 2nd AT but cut nap off, so just a cat nap.

You may find when nights improve that the AM AT will need a push after a good night sleep.

Offline leesa001

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 16:50:05 pm »
Thank you both for your replies.  I'm going to adjuss his A times today!

I feel everytime I get a sleep method working he regresses soon after and what used to work doesn't any longer. 

Now hopefully the longer wake times will get him sleeping longer through the night,    but what do I do about the separation anxiety at night? .  I've tried staying in the room with him, sleeping on the floor, even coming in the crib with him.

Offline annakenrick

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:55:30 am »
Good luck I hope something changes!
Separation anxiety- maybe pick one method and stick to it for 3-5 nights. Sitting next to cot repeating a mantra. I say sleep now Brodie shh shhh! ( I use this at nap time) maybe over the course off a few nights getting further away from cot. Maybe you sit silent so he know you are there just repeating your sleep mantra when needed but only that. You are there with him but he will learn you are not going to pick him up. Or there's pick up put down. I think there's more info on different techniques on this site.
God luck xx

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 11.5mo still not sleeping
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 23:53:54 pm »
I feel everytime I get a sleep method working he regresses soon after and what used to work doesn't any longer.

I call it the "2 week rule" it may not always be 2 weeks but you can generally expect some sort of change every couple weeks. It is maddening, but just know you are not alone!

Sorry I do not know too much about separation anxiety