Author Topic: New sleep issues 3.5 year old  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Dibs123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:03:59 am »
Good morning

I wonder if anyone can help me please?

My son has always resisted sleep but we persisted with gradual withdrawal and since he was 18 months old until 2 weeks ago he has slept perfectly. He happily goes up to bed at 7 and after a couple of stories we kiss him goodnight, leave and don't see or hear from him again till about 7 or 8 in the morning. If he ever couldn't sleep or woke early he would chatter to himself in bed quite happily. He was also still having a 45 minute nap most days of the week and again these were no issue at all.

A couple of weeks ago he was constipated so woke a few times at night but went back fine. Then one night he kept crying as soon as I left the room and kept saying he needed the toilet. This went on for about 4.5 hours and he kept saying he wanted to go to sleep but getting upset when we left. Eventually my husband suggested we shut the door and see if he calmed himself down. Obviously this didn't work and although it was only for a couple of minutes my son was very upset. In the end my husband cuddled him to sleep in his chair and then transferred him to his bed. He then slept the night although was up a bit early.

However that day he didn't want to nap at all for my mum (she has him one day a week) and when I tried to put him to bed he got really upset. He finally went down after I gave him a night light and left the door open and sat on the landing for half an hour or so till he'd dropped off. He then woke in the night and wouldn't be consoled so he came in with me. This continued for 3 nights with him obviously getting more and more overtired and miserable.

On the fourth night I stayed on the landing from 2am to 6.30 reassuring him I was there but that he couldn't come into my bed. The next night was similar. Now he is taking 1.5-2 hours to get to sleep every night because he keeps asking if I'm still there (on the landing). Then he wakes at about 12 and goes back but then wakes again any time from 2am onwards about every 15 minutes or so and by 6am we're all exhausted and he gets up. Last night this started at 2am until 3.40 when I had to bring him in with me because everyone is so exhausted. But he doesn't really sleep that well in my bed because he's never done it. And even when he's with me he asks if I'm there and has to hold my hand to make sure I don't disappear.

Does anyone have any ideas please? I know it hasn't been long but it seems to be getting worse rather than better and I'm at my wits end. And my poor son is so tired and unhappy. He's gone from 13-14 hours sleep a day to about 5 or 6.

Sorry, that was quite long and garbled, I hope it makes a bit of sense.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: New sleep issues 3.5 year old
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:45:36 am »
Hi there, sorry your having a tough time.

Is your lo still having a nap? When was he 3.5?x
Zoe

Offline Dibs123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:47:36 am »
Hi

Yes, he was. Occasionally he would just sing to himself and he didn't 2 days a week while at nursery but then he would go to bed at 6. Until a couple of weeks ago he completely loved his sleep.

X

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 17:31:25 pm »
It could just be time to drop the nap completely and do a shorter day? Also they have developmental leaps every half birthday so it could be that if he's just turned 3.5 x
Zoe

Offline Dibs123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 12:24:44 pm »
He doesn't have a nap 2 days a week at nursery and it's not different then either.

Would he only need 5 or 6 hours? It seems quite a leap from 13 but I'm willing to try it if necessary. I can't get him to have more thsn 5 or 6 anyway so should I just accept it?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 18:10:38 pm »
I'd doubt 5/6 hours would be sufficient long term he will crash.

I'd just keep trying to maintain bedtime and keep consistent in the night, if it's a developmental thing it will pass.
Zoe

Offline Dibs123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 18:49:53 pm »
That sounds sensible. Sorry to keep asking questions but would recommend gradual withdrawal or WI/WO. I've made it to the landing but we're still there for 2 hours a night.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 19:34:41 pm »
You ask away can't guarantee I'll be able to help lol! I'd prob try wi/so if you've tried gw. Could you try a reward chart?x
Zoe

Offline Dibs123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 14:28:38 pm »
Lol.

Ok great, that was sort of what we were thinking eventually. I started a reward chart but he doesn't really care if he doesn't get a sticker. He's so stubborn!

Thanks again x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 17:01:41 pm »
Mine wasn't into stickers, but say 5 stickers and then you get a toy car from
 The £1 shop worked better, or go on the car in the supermarket. Not everyone is into rewards just depends what works for u.
Zoe