Author Topic: PU/PD early in the morning?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Fien

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 21, 2017, 04:32:08 am »
Hi!
I'm wondering.. what can I do if a baby (11.5 spirited/grumpy/touchy mo son) wakes up too early? The thing is we don't know why he wakes up, so we end up by letting him cry one day, and trying to comfort him the other day(depening of the time he wakes up and how tired we are). And we always end up by giving him his bottle, which we want to do as late as possible, or at least not before 7, to avoid that we introduce some accidental parenting at 5 o clock.

We are quit sure he eats a lot (2 bottles of 10 oz, 2X350g solid food, 4 slices of bread during the whole day). How can I be sure that he is not in need of food at that moment?

He tends to wake up earlier and earlier last weeks. ALso, when we get to him, and try to comfort him, he arches his back and hits away our hands, as if he doesn't want to be touched. Sometimes we think he is still sleeping while crying, because he doesn't even looks up when we enter the room and get closer to him.
Today he woke up at 4  :-\ I tried to comfort him by sushing, gave up an hour later and than gave him a bottle. After his bottle he started crying again and was fighting with me when I tried to pat his back or do the PU/PO. It started to frustrate me, so I changed his diaper (to exclude another possibel reason he is crying) and put him back to bed to let him CO. I just HAD to let him cry out because I was going to get really angry. So now I'm typing this, with earplugs in. I know I have to be patient, but he has been a crybaby since his birth and I just don't know whether it's his character or he just needs me.

I need a plan to exclude all these incertenties. At the evenings it's easier: I know he's not hungry, and I know he's tired. We read a book together, so he's happy to have our time together. But what to do in the mornings without introducing accidental parenting? I just can't take him out can I? It's difficult to do PU/PD if you're not convinced that he needs attention, or just isn't sleepy anymore. What to do??

Note: 10 minutes later and he stopped crying.. So I guess he was tired...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:34:58 am by Fien »

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 23:38:15 pm »
Hi Flen,

Could you detail his routine in ES format?

I know it can be frustrating not knowing the cause of sleep disturbances, and especially when he is resisting your efforts to support him.
However, bw firmly believes in not letting babies CIO alone in any form or any duration.  If you are emotional, you can still sit or lay on the floor beside him, humm, or say "mommy's here" intermittently not constantly, or just be present until he has calmed down and is receptive to you again.  Babies cry for a need, emotional included so we want to err on the side of meeting those needs. Shhhing is not recommended at this age... they just generally aren't as receptive to the noise as they are when much younger.

How long has he been waking early? 12 mo is a huge developmental phase so he could be entering that. If it is, it should resolve itself within a couple of weeks after he turns 1.

Has he been cleared of any medical issues? Any signs of teething? Could any of the food be bothering him? 4-6am is the period of lightest sleep so any discomfort or environmental change can wake a baby.

Offline Fien

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:33:41 am »
Hi!

We aim for this:
7: eat: bottle of 350 ml formula milk (we give the bottle to him, he remains in bed and drinks it in de dark. He just to fall back asleep)
8: 2 slices of bread
9-10: sleep
11: solid food (350 g, at daycare)
12-2: sleep
15: solid food (350 g, fruit, at daycare)
17: something small (slice of bread/cookie/pudding)
(sometimes: 30 min of sleep)
19: 2 slices of bread + bottle of 350 ml formula milk
20: bedtime

Last weeks, he wakes up between 4 and 6. If he doens't cry continiously, we do nothing. If he does, we give him a bottle. Normally he falls back asleep, but not the last weeks. He starts crying again after the bottle. Hunger is excluded in these cases. Did he get enough sleep? Needs more time to go back to sleep? Wants to be with me? I really don't want to introduce bad habbits...During the day, we try to be more possitive and take time for him. Since he can be very demanding, we often ended up ingnoring him (to avoid that he always gets what he wants and gets spoiled). On the other end, he really likes attention, and why not give a baby what he needs? It's really difficult to find the right balance! And offcourse, when he wakes up in the morning, a start thinking of all these things and I end up doubting myself. He is giving me a hard time, really. He cries so much that I can't talk about him and not cry myself. Wednesday we have an appointment with the dokter for a check up. But I'm afraid that's just the way he is. Very strong willed, but very sensitive.

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 00:25:25 am »
He naps 2 hrs after waking and then again 2 hrs later, then 6 hrs to bed? If this is the case, this is an unusual routine for this age. On average, 11/12 mo need about 3-4 hours of activity before a nap or bedtime. 3 hrs of day time sleep is also usually the max for this age and could interfere with night sleep- shorten it. Or cause early wake ups. Also, too early of a Nap time will cause a baby to shift their morning wake up earlier to compensate... if he needs 3-4 hrs of activity before nap and is napping at 9:00am, it could cause wake up around 5am.

Is bread a common source of food for toddlers where you are? For use, that much bread would probably cause some bloating and gas, which is uncomfortable for babies and for us caused a lot of tears and screaming. "Bread" for us is the sliced kind, white and what variety.  Wheat is a common gut sensitivity trigger, not necessarily an allergy. Has the pediatrician ever brought up food sensitivities or discussed it? Again, have you ruled out teething pain- do you see any redness or swelling in his gums? I know that the first year is full of teething. We used to give some medicine to help with sleep.

At this age, I would not give him a bottle until the first feed after wake up and in the light.  Giving him one at 4-6 can perpetuate a habitual wake up for milk like you said. I would drop this and see if tweaking his routine will help.

Here is a link to sample 10-12 mo routines.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=164031.0

For your baby, I would first eliminate any bottles in bed. Then, try to put down for his first nap at 10am. Second nap, another 3.5-4 hrs after waking up from first nap. If daycare is not flexible with nap time, then I suggest you give only a 15 minite catnap at 9:30, and start reducing it even further until he is down to one nap. Once he is down to one nap at 12-2, I would put him down for bed at 6:30/7.

Let us know how the check up goes and what you think about the routine changes. Hang in there and remember that this is one of the toughest stages.

Parenting is a very tough thing... trying to find the balance with everything, to not feel guilty, and to do what's right for the baby. I know it can be very overwhelming. Let's take things one thing at a time starting with his routine and bottles. With regard to his behavior- you are right that he is just a baby and as he can't communicate his needs, we meet them as best as we can. Personally, I believe ignoring children at this age can cause anxiety and distrust from baby. I don't feel you can spoil a baby with attention... they crave and need it to feel secure. I've read somewhere that the more appropriate nurturing a baby gets, the healthier they'll be emotionally. Certainly there are more sensitive babies (i have one!) that make it more of a challenge for parents- but we can rise to the occasion and help them. Remember that you caring this much makes you an excellent mom!!! You seeking guidance is wonderful!! And you are able!! You do have enough love and patience to give. Sometimes we have to draw more out, but it'll make you a stronger person. Just tonight, I had to grit my teeth and bear an extremely difficult meltdown at bedtime. I left the room to take some deep breaths, returned and as calmly as possible, met my son where he was... he couldn't control his emotions and actions but I could control mine. I gave him more kisses than usual bc As hard as it was for me, those big emotions and loss of control is very scary for them. There are many ways to help toddlers learn to express emotions for sure, but sometimes the reactions they have are developmental and out of their control. Hugs to you.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 00:29:31 am by ginger428 »

Offline Fien

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 21:21:23 pm »
Sorry for the late reply.. we had some heavy nights (and thus, days) last week.

In the mean time we only give him white bread. Apparently they don't recommend non-white bread here either.. oops.
Unfortunately, it doesn't help a lot. He keeps waking up (some night several times) and going in to his room and comforting him doesn't help. Going in his rooms keeps him crying longer than just let him cry it out.. as if trying to help him aggravates his crying. Last days he also wakes up at +/- 23h. Normally at that time he screams for 1 minute and sleeps again. Now he doesn't stop. The strange thing is, he keeps his eyes shut while he's crying, as if he's somewhere between being awake and sleeping. Even when he's on the changing table.

I will try what you said about his routine, especially the tip about shortening his first nap. It seems logic (however, nothing my son does seems logic.. :P) I will keep you posted. Thank you very much!