Author Topic: Naps on the go or skipping the nap  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:48:40 am »
Occasionally we have a party to attend and it's around naptime for my 14 mo lo and I'm always hesitant to go. He sleeps for 2 hours 12-2 and I hate to have him skip it as he obviously needs it but I feel bad to say no to invites. Sometimes he will snooze for a little bit in the car on the way or way back but I hate to do this. Anyone else have this issue and what do you do?  Early bedtime?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Naps on the go or skipping the nap
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 22:03:43 pm »
There are plenty of options - you can:
- not go to the party. People understand... or they don't. That's their issue, not yours.
- have 2 car naps either side of the party - its not the end of the world, its one day and life will throw you and your LO curveballs from time to time. He might be a bit more cranky in the afternoon and need more assistance to get to sleep at BT but usually if you can get back into the swing of your normal nap routine the next day, it should be fine.
- You can do EBT - I've done it as early as 4pm and DS slept til 7am the next day. This only works if you happen to have a child who tacks on - be prepared that its perfectly reasonable to be up for the day at 3-4am if BT is 4pm.

In the end, you really just have to work out what works for you and your family. It will be different for everyone as our kids respond to missed/shortened naps and EBT differently. Your tolerance for getting off track and the importance of the event have to be weighed and that's up to you to do.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Naps on the go or skipping the nap
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 02:11:10 am »
We just usually show up to stuff a bit late.  I send DH and my 5yr old ahead, I stay back and I will probably put DD down for nap a bit early, and then we go when she's up.  Otherwise, I try to plan to leave so she has a car nap on the way there and then EBT.  Those days are always going to be a mess and we just try to manage them the best we can.  And if it's a day where I feel like she absolutely just can't miss her nap, then we just don't go.  Such is life.  People get it, or they don't, and I really don't care if they do or not lol.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 23:36:56 pm »
Thanks everyone !