Author Topic: Weening from family bed  (Read 1476 times)

Offline keito-ninja

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:24:19 am »
Hello baby whisperers!
My son is 9 months old, and although I have read the baby whispering book, I have never really applied the EASY schedule with him. In the books, Tracy mentions a few times that the family bed works fine for some families, and if it does then good for them. My problem is that for the first nine moths, the family bed worked great with my son--he has an angel temperament and he always slept through the night fine when he was in the bed, while mommy and daddy got a good sleep too. I thought to myself--if it ain't broke why fix it? My problem is that, my son still sleeps well, through the night, and has nice good naps during the day... but he has just gotten so big that his presence in the bed has started to disturb me and my husband. Now I can't figure out how to transition from the bed to a crib.
First of all, I don't know how to help him settle down for sleep. He is far too big and strong to swaddle, and I don't even know if that is recommended for his age. It seems that whenever I try to get him ready for sleep he is awake and alert and just wants to play. The. There is the crib--the side doesn't fold down and I am short, so I have to break my back to lower my 20+ lbs. baby over the rail, only to have him wake up because he feels like he is in free fall.
To be honest, he usually falls asleep on the breast. There is so much stigma around allowing your baby to use feedings as a sleeping crutch--for me it was a matter of both the baby and myself and my husband all had a better sleep this way, so I didn't think it was a problem. However now I don't know how to make the transition to self soothing.
Anyway, I just don't know where to start. I feel like if I try anything I'm just going to mess up the sweet deal I already have and go from having slight disturbance from him kicking me once or twice a night to having him awake and crying all night long. Is it worth it?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Weening from family bed
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 19:11:58 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Is it worth it?
Only you can answer this really!  Although this is a BW site and my personal experience is that having children who can sleep independently is great, I wonder if you are perhaps feeling pressured to do so because you 'should'?  I personally do think it is worth it in the long run, but there is work to put in to get from co-cleeping and feeding to sleep to independent sleep - and if you aren't ready then I would say don't start yet.  Sleep training, however gentle and respectful, takes commitment and resolve, and can be stressful - and if you feel like you would give in then it's not fair to either you or LO to begin.

That said.....

I do think this is doable!!  Basically I would start with where you are now, and move in small steps to get to where you want to be.  This is known as 'gradual withdrawal' and is a really nice gentle way to move away from complete dependence on you for sleep.  To help us help you a bit more, can you post your LO's usual routine for the day - with nap times etc? 

Is getting a different crib with a drop-side or actually one of those co-sleepers designed to be right up against your bed an option?  Just thinking if you have enjoyed lots of aspects of the family bed perhaps just readjusting arrangements to make it more comfortable for you all instead of complete separation would be an option?

How often does he feed overnight?

Let us know your thoughts and we'll do our best to help :)