Author Topic: 4 month sleep regression, shush/pat, extending the short naps, and more!  (Read 2110 times)

Offline AliciaS

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I really appreciated the help and encouragement with my first son I got here! Now I'm in the trenches again with my second. I feel so conflicted on what I should do. With my first son I was able to dedicate myself to his schedule by being home for his naps, tweaking them by 15 minutes here and there, and having peace and quiet. Now I have a 3 year old who I drive to and from school at 8 and 11, soccer, playdates, etc. Even when home it's difficult to tend to him when I'm focusing on my baby's sleep. I don't know that I will be able to do what I did before. I can't even recall the times of his EASY schedule today. Deep down I was hoping for the second baby that everyone says is easier and can just sleep whenever anywhere. I want to be able to get out of the house more but it doesn't feel like I can if I stick to the four month old schedule. Should I just not worry about his schedule on the weekends when my family wants to take day trips or even just go out for brunch?

My mom is visiting right now for a week so I have been trying to focus on my baby's schedule while she takes care of my three-year-old. I worry that she will be gone before I have my baby sleeping and then I won't be able to do it on my own.

My baby hit the four-month sleep regression and is waking up after most sleep cycles. I am pretty sleep deprived but have worked out a bit of a deal with my husband to take shifts sleeping at least on the weekends. I read that it was better to focus on naps first so I have been dedicated to that for a couple of days. I have been doing shush/pat when he wakes up after one cycle. I've been somewhat successful with getting him back to sleep. But I don't think he sleeps a full 40 minutes on the second cycle. Sometimes he will fall back asleep and I keep patting him and 5 minutes in he wakes again while I'm still patting him, but then falls back asleep and this continues a couple more times.

Before the regression I just did a small wind down period and put him in his crib awake, gave him his pacifier and lovey, said goodnight and walked away. If he cried I would just put his pacifier back in his mouth. When he woke in the night and wasn't hungry I just gave him his pacifier. I fear that his pacifier has turned into a prop? Now when I do shush/pat I also am putting his pacifier in his mouth over and over again. When he cries he drops it and can't get it back in his mouth on his own so when I give it to him he calms for a bit and I can keep trying shush/pat. If the pacifier has turned into a prop how can I reverse it? Should I not worry about that right now so I don't try to make too many changes at once for him?

How many days should I keep trying shush/pat? How many minutes should I try it if he's not falling back asleep? If I can't get him to fall back asleep should I proceed with the standard E and A time? How long can I just keep focusing on naps only? Is it possible that I could just do shush/pat for naps and then he will learn to put himself back to sleep when he wakes at night? When he wakes up is it better to start shush/pat asap or wait until he cries? He has never put himself back to sleep for naps but how many days should I do shush/pat before seeing if he can get himself back to sleep on his own?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any help you can offer!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 4 month sleep regression, shush/pat, extending the short naps, and more!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 19:06:43 pm »
Hi there
sorry to see you didn't get any replies yet.

Whilst many people might say to just not worry about baby's sleep and take him anywhere whenever you want/ned to I am sure that would never have worked for my DS. I really know it wouldn't have worked. It relies a lot on baby agreeing to sleep anywhere which not all will (although great if yours does!).
At the same time I probably wouldn't plan to have LO2s routine the same way you had LO1's as you now have a 3yo in the mix.  All naps at home in the cot is just too restrictive when you ahve school runs, sports and all sorts of other things.

I do think though a kind of compromise is possible where you take everyone's needs into account and do a kind of best fit.
I would start by jotting down the things you absolutely cannot move (school runs)
Then consider if those times might be suitable or unsuitable for a nap (car/pram, is the journey too short?  Can a nap start in the pram and the pram be brought indoors for the nap to continue?)
Then jot down the things which could move if you had to move them (possibly some toddler groups or sports or other activities which are nice but might be too much in the way of LO2s sleep needs)
Again jot down if any naps can be fitted around those - which work, could work, definitely don't work?
...and then see how some naps can fit into the day, if you need to build a routine which includes more than one CN then so be it, but try to aim to give LO2 a chance for a long nap a couple of times per day and for one nap per day to be in the cot (if possible).
I would try to put together something where most days are very similar so that LO2 learns the routine - this makes it more consistent for everyone, LO falls to sleep faster as a habit and you know you can more likely rely on those nap times.

Hope that helps some.

Offline AliciaS

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 14:08:28 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply!!!! I know I had a lengthy post with tons of questions, so I appreciate you taking it on. Thank you for your perspective; it seems much more doable. Even though I'm a second time mom I feel the anxiety of a first time mom because I need to do things differently. I attribute many of LO1's qualities to being well rested so I want to be able to give LO2 that as well. Then there is the pull of the other direction for more needed flexibility.

So do you recommend not implementing the standard awake times to be able to fit naps in more around the family's schedule? I should encourage more set times of the day rather than basing the first nap after 2 hours of whenever LO woke up? Same for not increasing A time as he gets older as much to stick to the schedule?

Good news! As I'm writing this LO has just passed the 45 min mark of a nap without me intervening!!!! His night waking has improved some too. He did a 5 hour stretch last night! Maybe he's getting over the disruption of the 4 month sleep regression? I have been completely dedicated to extending his naps with mostly patting this week because my mom is visiting and taking care of LO1. I hope LO2 can adapt when I can't continue this in a couple of days.

Thanks again!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 14:48:53 pm »
So do you recommend not implementing the standard awake times to be able to fit naps in more around the family's schedule? I should encourage more set times of the day rather than basing the first nap after 2 hours of whenever LO woke up?
A couple of things I can think of here:
- you can shift the morning WU time if you want or need to - so that the suitable A time can be fitted in around the family needs (eg school run), you literally just wake LO up at a set time every day and LO learns this and begins to wake naturally at this time (you might adjust BT or the whole days routine to allow for this). I recommend being prepared to wake LO at the same time on the weekends to keep the routine consistent and to have the most success during the week
- if you are planning a CN rather than a long nap for nap 1 then the A time doesn't need to be full length, LOs are often lulled to sleep in the car or pram much earlier than the full A time and you can use this to your advantage to fit with the family needs of routine. Again trying to aim for the same thing every day will be more successful.  A short first A time and a short CN can be followed with a full A time and a long nap for example.
- babies don't fit the book times.  Every baby and every family is different and the whole beauty of EASY and teh BW methods is that the routine is respectful to all members of the family.  Everyone might need to compromise somewhere (maybe LO1 gives up a sport until LO2 is older? just as example) but on the whole everyone should be relatively well cared for and well slept.
- it is possible to work some of the WU/S times on variable A times whilst others are on "set" times.  This might not be easy to see how this can work so I'll describe my own routine with my DS:
We had a set appointment I could not move twice per week so instead of 2 long naps and a CN mine had:
WU
A based on his need of A time which was longer than the guidance A time for his age
S long 2 hr nap in cot at home
A for a while based on A time
S timed leaving the house to ensure nap started in the car at the right time
this sometimes meant I had to leave the house very early for my appointment to allow for the nap
as the A time lengthened I left later but it meant his nap had to be shorter as my appointment started at a set time.  He wasn't particularly happy about it but he still had a nap and he got used to it.  This ended up a "set nap time" starting 40 min before the appointment and in the car.
A too long for his needs/age due to the appointment
S appointment ended, car nap.  This was a "set nap time" because he had to hold out for it.
with age as sleep needs changed this nap ended up getting longer meaning his CN was in the middle of the day instead of the end of the day.

Mine still had 3 naps when other LOs would drop to 2 naps because naps 2 and 3 were short (nap 1 still long at home in cot).
When he dropped to 2 naps it was nap 2 we dropped not nap 3 which is "normal".
And this saw us up to around 11months old when he dropped to 1 nap.

I hope that makes some sense and doesn't confuse you further. Of course I'm not saying you should follow a routine the same as I had, but that we had a non-conventional EASY with some A times and some set nap times and it still worked.
I warn you though - I did find that on the weekend I wanted to stay home and chill out and my DS demanded to be taken out for his nap 2, he'd refused to take nap 2 in the cot because he was used to it being in the car.  Consistent routines are very helpful but can also be a bit of a pain too.

Offline AliciaS

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 19:00:05 pm »
Thank you so much for all of your ideas, details and encouragement!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 18:15:53 pm »
You are welcome :)
Let us know if you have more questions or need support either here or on another board.