Author Topic: Stopped walking  (Read 4644 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Stopped walking
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:07:43 am »
Not sure which board is most appropriate...
My LO took first steps around 10.5 months. She is now 11.5 months. During that time she has improved significantly. She can walk 30+ steps without falling (assuming she chooses too), she can walk, stop pick something up and continue. She loved to practice.

For the last couple days she has reverted back to cruising or walking  while pushing chairs or holding hands. If I were to put her in the middle of room she will crawl to her destination. She used to love practicing and has pretty much stopped.

Anybody else experience this?

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Stopped walking
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 14:23:15 pm »
No experience of this, and I'm by no means an expert, but at this age (which is still on the young side for walking), I personally wouldn't worry at all.  There are all kinds of benefits that LOs get from crawling that they don't get from walking, so if your LO spends a bit more time crawling, that is probably a good thing!  :)

If you're concerned though, then I'd prob see a doctor.  Maybe she's grown a bit and the change in size/weight has made walking more difficult for her?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 16:17:45 pm by cath~ »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 16:12:50 pm »
Thanks!! She has her 1 year appointment coming up.

I just thought it was pretty odd, but then again I don't understand much of what babies do haha

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 16:17:21 pm »
probably a good time to ask at the appointment them :)  (I assume she seems fine generally apart from this!)

I agree, babies can be weird! :P ;)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 18:27:36 pm »
With my DS it was all about speed and efficiency. So he would go between walking, cruising at 10.5 months and on. Whatever for him to get from point A to B or get the toy faster was his mission! Once his walking was perfectly mastered he only did that and the very next day it was running! 12 yrs later he's still
Running lol!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 19:11:29 pm »
I'm guessing she has bare feet but thought I'd just post in case I am guessing wrong.
If you have any booties or cruiser shoes etc on her this could be putting her off walking.
But mostly agree with pps, crawling is great for development (more so than walking) and using the most efficient way to get somewhere is true too.

Mine stopped walking for a few weeks when he was older (but still very young) and it was due to Clarkes shoes. Once I ditched the (very expensive) shoes he walked everywhere again.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 21:16:06 pm »
With my DS it was all about speed and efficiency
I could see my DD being like that. Whatever gets the job done faster be it crawling, cruising or walking.

I'm guessing she has bare feet but thought I'd just post in case I am guessing wrong.
She is barefoot, I did have to buy shoes for when she starts daycare, but she has spent little time in them so far.