Author Topic: 8 wks old EBF- when will she sleep longer at night?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Skyofclouds

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 wks old EBF- when will she sleep longer at night?
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:51:01 am »
I'm on the 3 hour EASY and at 8 weeks old she is still waking every 3 hrs for a feed at night.

7pm feed then bedtime, 10pm, 1am, 4am then 7am wake up for the day

she normally feeds really well for 30-45mins during the day but only manages 5-10min at night feeds because she falls asleep and is difficult to awaken

I burp her/ change her nappy to try to wake her up to feed more but it doesn't work

I've tried to give her a pacifier/ pat-shush during night awakenings but she cries as if she's hungry and goes ferociously at the breast, then falls asleep within 5-10 mins

When will she last longer between night feeds? Maybe she's not ready yet but I'm really keen for her to last at least 4 hours as I'm going back to full time work soon!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 8 wks old EBF- when will she sleep longer at night?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:36:29 am »
Well, its reasonable for a LO to be feeding at 3hrly intervals until about 4 months when its usually more like 4hr. You will usually get one longer stretch from the beginning of the night but that takes time to happen for every LO.

You can stroke the side of her jaw to try to encourage her to keep feeding...

Have you tried cluster feeding in the evening before bedtime? That might help get one longer stretch.

I've given you some suggestions as to how you might increase her stretches of sleep but really, she's young and what she's doing is perfectly normal. Babies don't 'sleep through the night' as we understand it for many months if not a year or more. STTN is defined as certain lengths of time at certain ages and if I recall correctly, its one stretch of 5hr at 13 weeks/3 months...