EAT > Breast Feeding

When to introduce a bottle?

(1/2) > >>

eva026:
DD is 2.5 months old and BF well. At what point do I introduce a bottle? I'm very wary of it as we had huge issues with DD1 and nursing strikes and I don't want to go through that again. That's why I'm so hesitant 😕
Do we do it now or wait till before I start work in a few months? I read on a few websites that you should not wait too long or they don't want the bottle at all.
Really I'd like DH to do a DF with a bottle st some point and from December I'd love to be able to go out for a beer with my girlfriends! All these things are not essential though. It would just be nice if that could happen.
I only go back to work part time in February and by then she'll be 8mo and will have to take a bottle.

MasynSpencerElliotte:
With DD3 we did not try a bottle until around 5 months - we tried 3 different kinds before finding what she liked but she was fine to take it from everyone else (after a few weeks she let me bottle feed too).

eva026:
And you never had issues with bottle preferences?
I'll wait a while longer then, just in case. Maybe when she's 6months old around Christmas. I was wondering if I'd missed some window or sth.

MasynSpencerElliotte:
No, none of my 3 developed bottle preference. DD1 &  DD2 used bottles within the first few weeks for the bedtime feed so DH could do it.

eva026:
Hey, I’m popping on again with a quick question.
We started trying with a bottle over a week ago - used the models calma. No milk comes unless you suck. But dd kept spluttering and choking. After a week we tried a traditional bottle, newborn nipple (she is almost 4mo so maybe should go one up??) and she took to it like a champ.
My question it, how often should she get a bottle to not forget? Will 2 a week be ok or should we be doing it more often? Id rather not do every day. I considered doing a df but seeing as she’s in our room and I’m a super light sleeper, there doesn’t seem to be a point as I’d wake anyway.

She bf during the day 5 times and night 2-3 times. Was thinking 100ml bm should be enough for a feed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version