Author Topic: 12 Werka short A  (Read 5207 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
12 Werka short A
« on: October 03, 2017, 10:30:46 am »
Im just popping on with a quick question. DD2 is 3mo soon - around 11-12 week now. Her A time is really short and I’m wondering if I should start pushing it out a little?
She starts yawning at 50min usually and if I don’t have her sleeping by 1,10h she’s yelling the house down. The short A time is a bit of a drag because by the time she is up, fed and changed it’s basically time to put her down again. Is it normal to have such a short A at this age?

Our EASY:

BT 7.30-8pm
WU 7.30-8am
NF 2am, 4am, 6am
E every 2-3h (I try fit it in around naps, we don’t F2S - the only thing I’ve done right lol)
A 1.10h
S 2x1.5h in my arms and 2-3x 30-40min on her own
I’m not biting the sleep training billet till we are down to 2 naps (I was a stressed out wreck with DD 1 and it turners out her short naps were developmental and fixed themselves at 6mo), but at this rate she’ll be 8mo before that happens!
So what do you think - push out her A or leave it for now?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 12 Werka short A
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 19:55:45 pm »
Sounds like she might just still be in that sleepy phase which lasts varying time for different babies. Does she do any better with the A time first up in the morning or after a longer nap?

I think I'd leave it for now, Eva, she's within the range of normal there. Sounds like you're doing well finding a balance :)

Offline eva026

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:29:29 am »
How do I know she’s ready for more A? She always sleeps 40min (20min if very OT) on her own so I can’t tell if she’s UT. Or will she hopefully start yawning later at some point. I don’t always catch the yawn, especially if her sister is at home. On weekends she is usually a mess by the afternoon.
Her transition is awful. She thrashes her head, spits out her dummy, flails her arm (swaddled one arm out) and cries with her eyes closed. If I pick her up and stroke her she’ll settle down to sleep after 20min if this, but I was wondering if it could be because of UT?
Anyway, thanks for your words of encouragement, wil carry on plugging along. Have 2 kids is definitely more difficult than 1!

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 19:51:30 pm »
You could try gently pushing her A time by 5min and see what happens - she may settle better and may transition. What I was trying to say before is that I don't think she's necessarily gotten into the habit of being tired after 1:10 like some babies do if you keep them at 1.5hr until they're 4.5mo and mum is then scared to push A times to 2hr because LO will be OT, yk? I think she might just be a bit slower to 'wake up' from that newborn stage.

I reckon she's a mess on weekends due to OS and associated OT from short naps. 

Have you been able to try HTTJ at say 35min?

Offline eva026

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 05:42:19 am »
Ok, I’ll try push to 1.15
She’s definitely a mess on weekends because of OT and OS. Nothing I can do about that, her. Sister is home and we are usually out and about. I give her one chance to sleep long in the morning and if she doesn’t do it then she has to manage with naps in the wrap or pram - poor kid. I always feel guilty by the end of the day but staying home with a bored 5yo all day would end with me yelling at everyone!

I try to hold but that makes her angry. She needs one arm out to stroke her muslin to try settle herself - not that it works yet. W2S doesn’t work either.

Night time is great though (I’ve probably jinxed it now!), she goes into her crib and drifts off while I stroke her. Naps are another story- only in my arms. I’ve weaned her off walking her around to sleep, now we are slowly working on rocking more and now  gently, sometimes only holding and stroking. I don’t get why BT is so different??

Offline eva026

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:26:25 am »
I inadvertently ended up pushing her to 1.20, had to get her sister ready for kindergarten.
You were totally right, the transition was much better. I didn’t get slapped in the face once and there was no whimpering or crying. Will stick to this for the rest of the week and see if it carries on working

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 19:39:54 pm »
Great :)

Offline eva026

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 07:39:45 am »
I’m back and a bit confused, dd is 15 weeks old ( had to count that lol), she turned 3 months in the 10th anyway.
I’ve been trying to get her on an 1.5h A for about a week but it keeps giving OT naps so I’ve gone back to 1.20A but now we are getting NW. not sure if it’s the 4mo regression or a problem with her A time. Also, when she wakes she’s not hungry at all. I can get a bit into her 1h later but she only starts feeding probably after her 1st nap. What’s that about?? It’s usually 3 h after her last NF so she should be hungry?

The easy I aim for: BT 7.30-8pm, NF x2 (we don’t do a DF yet), WU 7.30-8am, A 1.20 or A 1h if the nap was short. Her day sleep is around 4-5h and 11-12 h night. Should be ok?

Yesterday:
Last NF 4am
WU: 8.30
E not hungry
A: 1.30
E: little feed
S: 20min

E: normal feed
A: 1h
S 1.10h

I’ll ignore the Es now because from then on I just tried to stick them in around the 2.5-3h mark.

A: 1.20
S.1.45

A: 1.25
S: 40min - she would have slept longer but I couldn’t resettle because of dd1, it was 5.40pm by then.

A: 1.40min - too long but I couldn’t fit another CN by then.
BT 7.30pm, woke 2 times between 8-9.30pm but resettled
11.30pm she woke, I tried to resettle but couldn’t do I fed her. Then she was in and out of sleep till 1am!
NF 4am
WU 7.30 - not hungry at all

So what do you think of all this chaos ??

Offline becj86

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 00:29:53 am »
S: 20min
I suspect this may be OS rather than OT. 

She then has a short A time and does an UT nap. I think she may do well with1:30-1:45 based on what you've written. Though I'd err on the side of 1:45 since she's awake for a longish time in the middle of the night. Tricky to avoid overstimulation with DD1 around too.

Offline eva026

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 06:22:26 am »
But I’ve been trying the 1.30a time at various points in the day when DD1 is in kindergarten and still get 20-30min naps. I did that for a few days and figured she wasn’t ready.
The long nw was a once off but we keep having to go on and resettle her a few time after BT.
This short A time is really difficult to work around, I can’t even pick DD1 up in the afternoon without it running into nap into nap time.
You think I should push A out to 1.45 and hold for a few days? All As or just one for now?

Offline becj86

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 10:28:14 am »
But I’ve been trying the 1.30a time at various points in the day when DD1 is in kindergarten and still get 20-30min naps.
But she's had the really short OS nap in the morning already, so things are a bit muddied.

That resettling shortly after BT is OT, usually. That's to be expected given the shorter naps through the day though.

Perhaps stick with 1:40 or so for the next few days and see how you go.

Hugs, Its really difficult with a baby and an older child. I know its easier said than done, but do try to go with the flow with pickups, etc. Could you try to get her somewhere quieter for the last 10min of her A time? A longer WD may assist.

Offline eva026

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 12:51:23 pm »
Will try. To be honest she hardly has a WD at all. Usually it’s a surprise that it’s nP time again so fast and a mad rush to get her into bed. The fact that she doesn’t sleep in the pram, car and not so much in the sling anymore is no help. She ends up with a huge A time because of kindergarten pick up, although I try run there as fast as I can as soon as she’s up.

Last night BT 8.00pm resettle 2x
NF 2am, 6am
WU 8am
A 1.20
S 2.30h
A 1.45
S 30min
A 1.10
S we’ll see but no longer than 1h because we have DD1 to pick up from a play date

Yesterday we weren’t home so she had to make do with 20-30min nap in the sling - totally OT and os
I felt guilty for doing it to her but then I feel guilty for keeping DD1 home so DD2 can have decent naps. You can’t win, can you? Does the feeling guilty about everything go away when they are older?

Offline becj86

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 19:52:03 pm »
Last night BT 8.00pm resettle 2xNF 2am, 6amWU 8amA 1.20S 2.30h
DYT she's shifting her night? This isn't what happens all the time though, is it. Tricky when there aren't many patterns :-/

S 2.30hA 1.45S 30min
Makes me question myself with the 1:45 since she had such a long nap before it but its the first one that long, so try again.

I felt guilty for doing it to her but then I feel guilty for keeping DD1 home so DD2 can have decent naps. You can’t win, can you? Does the feeling guilty about everything go away when they are older?
I doubt it :( I think you need to remember you're doing a great job with them both. Its a juggle and if she's mostly content and growing and meeting milestones, she's doing fine.

The fact that she doesn’t sleep in the pram, car and not so much in the sling anymore is no help.
This sure makes things more tricky!

Offline eva026

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 07:01:03 am »
So stay at 1.20 despite that being much too short for her age?

Offline becj86

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 08:40:20 am »
Average at her age is 1:30-1:45 so 1:20 is not drastically too short but I think I'd aim for 1:30 to 1:40 if I were you. I know that's tricky with another child in the mix and no APOP options left... I'd almost try training her to sleep in the sling/wrap.