SLEEP > Night Wakings

5 month old who was sleeping through now waking twice a night to feed

(1/4) > >>

Serenede:
Hi,

I wonder if someone could take a look at our EASY and see if there is something contributing to my LO waking twice a night and only settling when fed. He was previously sleeping through 11-12 hours.

7.15- WU
E-8am- 5oz milk (not very interested)
A-7.15-9.15
S-9-9.45 (usually falls asleep on the way back from school although if DH is working from home he can usually put him down at home and stretch the activity to two hours)
A- 9.45-11.45
E-11.15 7oz milk (recently I've not been able to push him more than three hours between feeds, a couple of weeks ago it was 3.5-4)
S- 11.45-1.45
A-1.45-3.45
E- 2.45 7oz milk
S- 3.45-4.30 falls asleep on school run
A- 4.30- 6.45
E- 5.30 5oz milk (always seems hungry at this time and would eat more but then won't eat before bed)
BT- 6.45- eats 6-7oz milk before being put down
NW- these are random but never before 1am and usually around 1.30 and again at 5. He screams and thrashes around, have tried offering water and trying to resettle with shushing but just doesn't work and he will only settle with milk. I have tried calpol and teething gel just in case. I have reduced his feeds to 4-5oz at night and he will go back to sleep but isn't happy when the bottle is finished.

He is bottle fed
His daytime naps have greatly improved from all being 30-40 minutes. If he does sleep longer at both naps it doesn't stop the night wakes so don't think it's from being OT.
He settles to sleep for all naps and BT by himself and never feeds to sleep even in the night.

So do you think it's genuine hunger why he has started waking? As I said he is wanting to eat more frequently during the day too. Should I start to introduce solids yet??
I don't want to start a habit with feeding at night but there doesn't seem to be any option?  Any ideas?

Serenede:
So the not before 1am has turned in to midnight tonight :(
DH is currently shush patting as it just seems too early for food? Will see if there is any success

Serenede:
So the shush pat worked and he was back to sleep in 40 minutes and didn’t wake again until 7am so I am pretty sure he’s not waking due to hunger. Our EASY yesterday looked like this:

Woke at 3.30am and shush patted for 40 minutes, back to sleep only to wake 20 minutes later with a nappy leak! Changed and put back to bed and slept until i woke him.

7.40am- WU
E-5oz
A-7.40-9.20-fell asleep on school run
S-9.20-9.50
E-11am 6oz
A-9.50-11.30
S-11.30-13.45
E-14.15 70z also tried a bit of carrot
A-13.45-16.00
S-16.00-16.45
E-17.30 5oz
A-16.45-19.00
E-18.45 8oz
BT-19.00 striaght to sleep

Nw-01.30-shush patted for 45 minutes but he was wide awake so left him to settle as he wasnt upset and went back to sleep at 2.30am

07.10-WU
I have managed to keep him going this morning on the school run and put him down when we got back so he went down at 09.10 so will see how long he goes for.

I would love to hear anyone’s thoughts on why this might be happening? Ive definitely noticed he needs slightly longer activity time more 2-2.15 now so trying to go with that.

Serenede:
NW again at 1.30 am still doing shush pat now at 2.25  ???
Wondering if he’s getting too much sleep at the lunchtime nap might try cutting it to 1.5 hours although this means he will need two cat naps to get to bedtime but nothing else to loose at this point I guess?

Serenede:
So gave up and fed him 5oz which settled him but now he’s woken 20 mins later! Have changed his nappy  and put him back down. Seems like he’s ready to get up for the day and it’s 3.15am!  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version