Author Topic: 7 month old chronic short 20-30min naps  (Read 3022 times)

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: 7 month old chronic short 20-30min naps
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 21:17:57 pm »
Hi it's tough when you can't get the routine you'd like isn't it!

I think if you're unable to push his A times you may need to accept that he'll need 3 shorter naps until he can handle more.

Today's routine I would have pushed that A time after the 2nd nap. Looks like he only had 1.5hr A after that nice long nap? He only slept for 40mins which probably meant he was UT.

It can take some time for LO to settle into a routine when A's are pushed but you do need to be consistent so they have a chance to adjust and yes some OT can accumulate but often it'll start to work in your favour after a while and they'll crash and sleep longer.
Lauren

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 16:37:12 pm »
Hi, I think things are moving in the right direction Oliver seems to be coping better with the longer A times and today we got another 2hr nap!

Wake 6
Nap 8.10 35mins
Wake 8.45
Nap 11 2hrs! We were at church and had a really busy morning with Oliver getting passed around so I think perhaps he needs more stimulation than being at home with me.
Wake 1
Nap 4 35 mins

I will aim for bed at 7 I really hope this continues actually managed to do lots of cleaning today 😄

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 20:15:56 pm »
Great news! Stick with it! As you say,  a lot of LOs start to need a bit more than just being at home after 6mo.  It's tricky to get out & back for lunch and do something in a 2.5hr window but can work if you have any local baby groups?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 19:00:57 pm »
Hi, we are still trying to stick to 3 naps but not had anymore long naps yet even though I took him to play group this morning it still wasn't enough to get more sleep. We had 3 night wakings too 10.30 1.00 then 3 could this be caused by OT?
Today was
Wake 7.10
Nap 9.05 school run 30mins
Nap 12 40 mins then breastfed back to sleep and held for an extra 40mins
Wake 1.40
Nap 4.15 30mins

Bed 7pm

Laura x

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 21:06:15 pm »
I'm never very sure about NWs, there seem to be so many things which could cause them! Is he upset when he wakes? That can be a sign of OT.

I wonder with that 2nd nap if he is waking for a feed out of habit which might be giving you the consistently broken nap..  Have you considered trying to resettle using either sh-pat or PU/PD?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 17:17:01 pm »
Hi we are still struggling on here. I think I've made things worse going to 3 naps but he refuses to have 4 now. Oliver seems tired a lot of the time and now he's crying before bedtime which he hasn't done before and he's crying after his night feeds to plus his wake times getting earlier! Today was like this

Wake 6
Nap 8.40 school run 35min
Wake 9.15
Nap 12 1hr
Nap 4.30 10mins And wouldn't resettle
I'll aim for bed at 7

I have tried to extend his naps but as he wakes happy he just smiles and me and doesn't go back to sleep
He is upset when he wakes but quickly calms down when I feed him last night he cried when I put him back in his cot after each feed. Any more ideas, am I missing something thanks Laura x

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 17:59:23 pm »
I think the fact he doesn't resettle and is happy could well mean he needs some more A time, especially before nap 2.  Try 3hr A after that first school run nap to see if you get a longer one. I would imagine all the short naps are causing some OT by the end of the day and what we call an UT/OT loop. It really is a case of pushing A's and riding out the OT until you get longer more restorative naps.

Most LO this age have already dropped the 3rd nap or are well on the way to just 2 naps. Have you had a read of the 3-2? All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
Lauren

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 18:27:14 pm »
I have read about it but just don't think he could handle the long A time before bed as the latest he could sleep would be 3 as I have to leave for the school run I will just keep on doing what I'm doing and hope he grows out of it. My second son did but not until 18 months old which seems a really long way away!

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 05:48:07 am »
Hi all,

Well things have improved nap wise but now we have a problem with early waking!
Since pushing A times we are managing to get at least one long nap a day which has been lovely we even managed to get through the 3 to 2 transition! Although now we have had to AP a 3rd nap just to make it though to bed time, yesterday went like this.

Wake 5.15 kept in bed until 6
Nap 8.45 20min on school run
Nap 12.00 1.5hrs
Nap 4.15 15mins
Bedtime 7.45 ( a bit later because we were out)

Woke once for a feed in the night then woke for day at 5.05 I even tried feeding back to sleep but nothing worked! Any ideas would be really appreciated

Thanks Laura x

Offline angel_uk

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 10:46:22 am »
You might not reply as its been a while but how did u manage to art it out at the end. My little. One is similar and we are hoping for some routine with school runs now. He struggles to stay awake.