Author Topic: 5 months old, how much BM?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline lkat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:34:08 am »
My daughter is almost 5 months old. She is drinking 5 bottles per day of expressed BM. She gets 7 oz. upon wake up and right before bed, the other 3 bottles are 6oz. We saw a dr at 3.5 months who said she was only in the 20th percentile for weight (at the time she was getting 4oz 5 x per day) so we upped it to 6-7 oz but it seems like so much. How much is your 5 mo eating??

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 5 months old, how much BM?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 20:06:18 pm »
Hi :) Sorry you've not had a response for a while. This varies a bit from child to child.

First off, the 20th centile is normal, as is the 90th centile, its a range of normal - the concern would be if LO was born on the 50th and had dropped through the centiles in that few months.

There are other things that can have a baby drop in comparison with their peers such as if they are ahead in gross motor milestones because those use a lot of energy or if their weight was artificially increased at birth due to IV fluids you received in labour/before birth.

Have a read here re: volume of milk calculations: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 5 months old, how much BM?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 21:02:40 pm »
Sorry, I thought I replied to this thread but I must not have posted it.

Is she not having any night feeds? Are you exclusively pumping?

As per the link Bec posted above 24oz is average but anything between 19-32 is considered normal. She definitely getting the top end but if she seems happy with that then it's not a problem. Is she taking the bottles happily or does she seem to be full before they are finished? Have you looked into paced feeding?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011