Author Topic: How to do 2-1 with last Atime being very long  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Bera

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to do 2-1 with last Atime being very long
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:26:07 am »
Hi all

My 14mo has been doing great on 2 naps until recently (1st long, 2nd short). I think it's been exacerbated by him attending nursery twice a week where he only naps for 35-45 mins after lunch. They've said that he doesn't settle for his usual morning nap around 11 so they let him play until lunch. On those days, I usually do early bedtime around 7 so he can catch up on lost sleep (7 is the earliest I can do bc I get home at 6/6.30).
The issue is that on 2 nap days, the day ends up being too long bc he needs a long final Atime. But on 1nap/early BT days, he seems to be waking earlier the following morning.

Any suggestions?

Example of nursery day:
7.30 WU
A ~5hr
S 12.15-13.00

A ~6hr (manages well with this A time long)
S 19.00 BT

Non nursery day

WU 7.30
A ~ 3.5hr
S 11.00-12.30

A ~3hr
S 15.30-16.00 (have to APOP this nap)

A ~4.5-5hr
S 20.30/21.00 (he won't settle any earlier than this even if he's in bed by 8)

Shall I continue with 2 naps and maybe cap the 1st nap too to have a shorter day? Or shall I move towards 1 nap by pushing morning nap forward and compensating with early Bt?

Thanks in advance 😊

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How to do 2-1 with last Atime being very long
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 14:51:46 pm »
But on 1nap/early BT days, he seems to be waking earlier the following morning.
Sorry I'm not seeing in your EASYs how early he wakes the following morning. Is it just a bit early or silly early?
If he is getting a decent sleep over night, even if the WU time is a touch earlier than usual, then you might be better moving to one nap and perhaps asking nursery if they could try to keep him asleep longer by starting to resettle before/as he wakes rather than letting him fully wake up (depends how many babies they have and what their routine is I suppose, some are more flexible than others).

I think though that if you do continue the 2 nap days (and it's okay to have a mix before the final drop to one nap - so long as LO is happy to do this) you might want to try capping nap 2 even shorter.

It does look like he could be ready to move to one nap (and yes you could move it to match the nursery days) but it would be a more comfortable move if the nursery nap was longer.

hope that helps

Offline Bera

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 12:22:01 pm »
Thanks Creations

After a nursery day, he's been waking around 6am (which isn't super early but a lot earlier than his usual WU of 7/7.30). I think it's bc his overnight sleep is always around 11hours so if he goes to bed at 7 then he's up at 6 and ready to go!

I think it will be a struggle for his nursery worker to get him to resettle bc they also  have 2 other babies to watch so I'll just have to accept that he'll do a short nap on those days and have early bedtime.

I have a feeling that he's not quite ready for 1nap every day, so I think we'll continue with a mix until we get to the stage where he doesn't settle for his 2nd nap - then move over consistently to 1nap every day.

Thanks again 😊😊

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 17:52:20 pm »
Hope it goes smoothly for you.