Author Topic: Sleep on special occasions  (Read 1337 times)

Offline ZanesOTmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Sleep on special occasions
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:48:38 am »
Hi there. I have another thread on NW and nap which had been an ongoing issue. I have a little PP anxiety that is now much improved, but still there. DS is 6.5m and will be baptized this coming Sunday. He wakes between 0615-0700 with usual pick up at 0700. Morning AT is around 3.10-3.15 then off to nap for half an hour then I rock/let him sleep on me to extend.

I've been losing sleep thinking about his baptism and also Christmas (I know, it's months away :(). Service is at 10am, right smack on his first nap. Then we're off to lunch at 11:30. I'm thinking of getting him up at 6am, head to church around 8:45am (15-20min drive) then have him on me on a carrier (and hide from everyone) so he can hopefully sleep until service. Then I think err good until after lunch - have him nap as soon as we get home and get on with our routine.

What do you think?

I'll post again for Christmas as that one involves a late dinner, midnight mass then festivities til wee hours of the morning :-S. But I'll try not to think about it til closer to the holidays.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Sleep on special occasions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 13:54:39 pm »
(((Hugs))), you remind me so much of how I felt with DD when she was that age.  I even left her thanksgiving service early to get her home for a nap :o :o and now can't think for the life of me why I was so worried about it!  I guess what I wanted to say is that I expect you will find it super-hard to follow the advice I'm about to give (I know I would have done) - but honestly for a special occasion I would take a deep breath, and wing it for the day.  Don't plan it, don't get LO up early.  Just let it be what it will be.  Best-laid plans never work out anyway in my experience!  And having too much riding on getting the sleep right will mean you won't enjoy the day so much.  Have a sling available/pram etc so there is somewhere for LO to nap as and when.  But one messed-up day will not ruin your little one's sleep forever - though I'm sure at some level at that stage I believed it would. Hope you all have a fab day xx

Offline ZanesOTmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 14:21:04 pm »
LOL it's like you know me or something... thank you for responding and not making me sound like a lunatic. I guess I'll just have to do my best and we'll see. I'll post on how our day goes and maybe it'll help another parent.

Thanks again.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 00:01:17 am »
With my first I worried, with my second I just thought he'll cry I'll walk him around until he sleeps or he'll fall asleep on the breast, we'll just make it work out somehow...honestly it was quite liberating to say I'll go with the flow and it did more for me long term than all my keeping with structure with DS1. As an adult we have days that we stay up late or sleep in... it doesnt change the routine that much, so why can't  a baby KWIM
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:19:06 am »
Exactly what PP have said. I had the same issues with both of mine for their baptism. The first I fretted over and lost sleep about bc sleep was HARD with her, but she fell asleep on me at her service and took a LONG nap during the lunch reception which was amazing bc I could socialize. We laughed and said it it was bc her original sin had been cleansed so she felt better lol. DS we just said we would go with the flow and it was fine. Planning too much for special events can sometimes make the event not so special. Just be prepared for a grumpy baby so IF it happens you can adjust. I was surprised that on the rare occasion we did let the schedule go, the kids did well bc they were so well adjusted that they still knew what to do even if it was a little different...if that makes sense!!

[/url]