Author Topic: What milk to give dairy intolerant baby if not breastmilk??  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Cclarke1979

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What milk to give dairy intolerant baby if not breastmilk??
« on: October 19, 2017, 09:51:16 am »
Hi everyone
I'm due to go away just before Christmas for 3 days and am planning to stop breastfeeding. My boy will be 7.5 months by then and hopefully starting to eat well (haven't started weaning yet but plan to imminently)
I have been dairy free since he was about 8 weeks old as we found he suffered with intolerance but my question is, what milk do I then give him when I do stop? He never took to bottles and we are just starting him on a cup with expressed breast milk.
All advice appreciated

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: What milk to give dairy intolerant baby if not breastmilk??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 22:09:32 pm »
You need to discuss this with your doctor to see what s/he thinks would be the next best milk for your baby.
When you stop breastfeeding he'll need some kind of dairy-free formula until 12mo. Lots of these formulas are based on soya though and many LOs with CMPI are also intolerant to soya as the proteins are very similar.

Most LOs won't be eating a significant amount of solids at 7.5mo. Even those who take to solids well can't get the nutrients they need from solids at such a young age. That's why breast milk or formula need to be a baby's main source of nutrition until 12mo.

Is there any reason why you're looking to stop breastfeeding? If you just don't want to feed any more then of course that is your choice and absolutely fine. If however you'd like support to carry on breastfeeding then we'd be happy to help ☺

My breastfed babies all did well with a straw cup. Maybe try one of those.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011