Author Topic: Early morning wake ups 7 month old  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Alina.fluturas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 20, 2017, 14:15:29 pm »
Hi!

Could someone please tell me if my baby’s routine is at fault for the recent early wake ups?
I mean he is a fairly early riser (6.30ish-7am) but last few days he’s been awake at 3am or 4am and very hard to settle back to sleep.
He is 7 months old as of today and this is our routine:
6.30ish wake up
Bf
9 am nap for 1.5hs
10.30ish am awake and bf
12 pm solids
1/1.15pm nap for 1-1.5hs
2.30ish awake and bf
4pm solids
5pm catnap (30-40mins)
5.30-5.45pm wake and bf
7.30 pm bath and bf
8.15-8.30 pm in bed asleep

So his awake times are about 2.5hs between naps and about 2.75hs before night sleep. I realize AT wil have to be slowy increased and catnap dropped soon but he’s doing so well with his naps atm it’s just the early wake ups which have thrown our routine a little although this morning after lots and lots of trying I managed to get him back to sleep around 6.40am and let him sleep until 7.10am so we can get back into our routine. Thank you!

Offline Alina.fluturas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 14:55:56 pm »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Early morning wake ups 7 month old
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 15:16:29 pm »
Here's our chart for comparison - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=84884.0  It is fairly similar although we tend to find most babies needing to push on a bit around 6-7 months and drop the catnap.

Regardless of charts though! - I think your baby is probably telling you it's time for a change of routine and some more A time.  There are a few clues....the long night waking (often UT unless discomfort is a possibility?), very long day (yours is now nearly 14 hours) and the fact he is the right age for the 3-2.  I would probably start pushing your first nap later, to 9.15am for a few days and then to 9.30am.  And move your second nap on as well, increasing the A time by about 15 mins and holding for several days before increasing again.  That should hopefully have your second nap starting closer to 2pm, and then you can do BT about 3h after waking from nap 2 instead of doing a catnap and late bedtime :) 

This link may be helpful - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=246541.0

Let us know if you have any more questions x

Offline Alina.fluturas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:21:01 am »
Hi!

Thank you for your advice, I have been following it and so transitioned my son onto 2 naps, trouble is I feel the nights are getting worse, maybe it's still early days but last 2 nights haven't been that great.
The naps are ok so I've been getting 1.5-2 h naps and I have extended A time to 2.75h between wake up and first nap, 3hs between the 2 naps and 3.15hs between 2nd nap and night sleep (which has been brought forward to 7-7.15pm). 2 nights ago he woke up at 3am for feed then up again at 5.30am and took me 1h to get him back to sleep.
then last night he woke up at 2 am and started babbling and giggling and tossing and didn't go back to sleep until 3.30 am or so. I didn't feed him and just left him in his cot with no intervention as he was not crying and after that he woke at 6am. So the good thing is that he didn't have any night feed at all but still not fun to listen his giggling for 1.5hs middle of the night.
Is there anything I haven't done right?
Basically this is how our days went:
6.30ish wake up
9.15am first nap for 1.5 hs (awake around 11 am)
2 pm second nap for nearly 2 hs (awake at 4pm)
7.15 pm in bed asleep.

TIA

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Early morning wake ups 7 month old
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 16:12:19 pm »
Day looks good, it may just be a little bit of residual over tiredness from transitioning (common, and normal).  I would hang in there for a week or two and see if things start to settle down unless anything else changes x