Author Topic: Advice or just hand holding... I miss my sleeping baby  (Read 1633 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Advice or just hand holding... I miss my sleeping baby
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:29:29 am »
My LO is 12.5 months and a good independent sleeper.  So much is going on with her and her night sleep right now, that I am not sure what I can do... if anything.

Under normal circumstances (hasn't been for ~1.5 weeks):

Wake 6:00 (this is a chosen WU due to work/daycare)

Nap 11:30-2:00 (occasionally will wake between 1:30-2:00)

BT 7:00 (6:45 on days her nap ended before 2:00)

We had been working on the 2-1 transition for a long time and she was over the hump with straight 11-11.25h nights

Enter "FT daycare" we had our first stomach bug and some separation anxiety... we were lucky that she got over that quickly and the daycare respects our routine.... so we were back on track again....

Currently....

I have 2 main sleep issues at night, they may be related to each other...??? some nights we suffer from just one, other nights both situations occur...

*note she has been sick (congestion, coughing etc.)  for 5 days and I am sure there is some relationship but situation 1) was happening before she got sick*

1) wakes with very hard screaming/crying... will kick and squirm if you hold her... or she will swat your hands away if you try to rub tummy or back in crib... she definitely seems to be suffering some discomfort (I suspect gas), but does not accept any sort of soothing... I generally end up standing over her crib talking quietly to her while she screams herself to exhaustion.  If it is gas, I cannot pinpoint the cause. I recently bought some gripe water and simethicone drops, but cannot comment on its effectiveness yet. This screaming generally lasts 20-45 min

2) the best way to describe this situation is "restlessness"..? this did seem to start when she got sick, but I can't seem to help her. She will wake coughing or for an unknown reason and she will squirm, shift position, crawl, walk. She does not cry, occasional moan. The only time she cries is if we go in and try to settle her. We do not have a video monitor, so we can only guess what she is doing from the rattling/banging sounds against crib and what we saw the couple times we did try to intervene. This can go on (off and on) for HOURS, or she will do it for a while get quiet for and hour or so and it will happen again. Again no crying. We are all very tired!! Usually we will turn the volume down on monitor so we don't hear all the rattling and only crying would register.

I am not sure what to do... as far as the sick piece, we have adjusted temp in room, changed clothes she is in, gave Tylenol for fever or pain, put cool mist humidifier in her room, we use saline on her nose with a nasal aspirator. We saw the Dr. no infection. I don't know what else we can do... but we all need better sleep!!

*her naps have not been affected too much.. still 2-2.5h, but she will wake and cough occasionally*

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Advice or just hand holding... I miss my sleeping baby
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 23:53:25 pm »
Hi LaraAndrea-
Here to give you many hugs and hand hold... I've these kinds of nights and it is so frustrating not being able to help your child.

For 1)- it kind of sounds like night terrors even though she is on the young side for them. But built up OT, being too warm, or some stress can trigger them although the true cause is unknown. When does it hapoen. Night terrors usually happen in the beginning part of the night- first 3-4 hrs.

2) From my experience, if there was a mental or physical development about to occur, we would have these "restless" nights. Is she walking? Starting to? Blabbering more?

Your routine looks great, but on nights where you think she's had a few hrs of restlessness or being awake, try the 6:45 bt even if she woke after 2. She might need some catch up.

Justsome thoughts... hugs!!

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 11:31:24 am »
Thanks!!

They do tend to happen during early part if night, and one day for sure she was too warm and we changed her clothes.

Since her cold/cough has took hold the screaming episodes have stopped. I will see what happens when she is healthy again.

She started fully walking about 2 weeks ago, so that does probably line up with when the restlessness started. It too has improved, but replaced with coughing all night :(

Poor baby can't catch a break

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 19:36:41 pm »
Hugs to you and your sweet baby.  Hope she feels better soon!

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:07:22 pm »
She is much healthier now... But... Now the screaming has resumed. :(

From everything you said and everything I have read, night terrors seem like the culprit (with the exception of her age).

It is heartbreaking and maddening! I have never done well with baby crying... But in previous cases I could rub her back,  cuddle her, rock her, or nurse her (something would work), and looking back I could often figure out a cause.

Is there anything that can be done? We have not had issues with room temp. Maybe some OT because she has been sick...

This may not be the forum to discuss this but I don't know if I should try picking her up or soothing in crib, she swats my hands away or pushes me away when holding (it breaks my heart). It doesn't help anyway...

I read something about wake to sleep

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 18:13:44 pm »
I am putting teething back on the table as an option to explain the screaming.

Although my LO has never screamed so intensely and inconsolably when cutting any of her incisors, she did cut her first top molars recently.

Do others experience these more extreme reactions to teething with molars etc??

I know babies behave beyond the realm of logic or predictability. I just wish I knew for sure what the cause is. It is sooo much harder to deal with than her other cries b/c she refuses to be consoled and nothing from the bag if tricks works.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:02:52 am »
Hi - she is still crying hard now after 3 weeks? Do you think the it some OT building up with these disrupted nights?

Big hugs x

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 16:24:36 pm »
The screaming only happended for a few days each time... Then went away and her good nights came back for a time. Yesterday she screamed at put down for nap (which is new) but her night was fine.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 17:23:06 pm »
She likes to keep you on your toes! Glad she slept OK at night though - that is the most important time xx