Author Topic: 13 month old NW  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Pearceuccs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 28, 2017, 00:32:22 am »
Today went like:

3 NW total
Awake @  545 (goal of after 6am) (10 hours of sleep)
AT 5 hr
Slept 2hr30 min
Awake 5 hours
Asleep at 630pm

We did the push to 1 nap because I had to APOP big time for the second catnap and we were trying hard to get him to fall asleep independently and it would take an hour at bedtime for him to fall asleep. This is like day 5 of 1 nap. The first day was nap of 3.5 hr! Followed by crappy 1 hr naps each day for the last 3 days  and then yesterday and today were over 2 hours. Still having lots of NW. Yesterday he went to sleep after 6 hr AT (in bed after 5.5). So today we tried after 5 and went to sleep very quickly and the first time ever that he didn't cry and went to bed by himself alone. We've been holding his hand usually and trying to gradually withdraw. He is 13 months. He's getting his 11th tooth at the moment. Constantly teething this one!! So I know that's not helping. During the NW we put our hand through the railings to hold hand or pat him and he goes back to sleep. Wakes up very angry.  We end up feeding him if it is 3am or after since he's more awake. His nap he goes to sleep now with no crying or interventions after sleep training a while of gradual withdrawal. So crazy how naps and bedtime are different. Any advice on the NW?

Update: woke up this am @530 (11 hrs is pretty much his max... and usually more like 10.5) with one NW at 3am. I tried to put to bed alittle early (did seem to help not have the early bedtime NW like yesterday) but then I get an earlier wu so I need to stick to 7pm bedtime I suppose?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 13 month old NW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 10:57:46 am »
Hi there
Are you giving pain meds before night sleep? Or perhaps at any of the NWs if it has been long enough since the previous pain meds?  Teething is horrible, it disturbed my LO for about 12 months!

It looks like you are doing really well with the routine having dropped to 1 nap but perhaps the whole day neds moving on so that WU is later, nap later and BT later - does that sound more suitable to you?
You could do this the way that people move routines when the clocks change, so shifting everything in the day by 15 mins each day for 2 - 4 days until you have a more suitable WU and BT.  Do remember during these shifts that meals times need to move too, LOs know where they are in the day based on their meals as much as their nap and bed time.  So, day 1 you would need to hold off on morning milk and/or breakfast by 15 mins...keep talking to him and telling him breakfast is coming but it's just delayed. Move snacks, lunch, nap, bath time, everything.

I think a couple of NWs are to be expected if he's teething or during this phase of dropping a nap and shifting the routine.  You might get some extra NWs while you shift the routine becaus4e we're talking about a later BT but if he nap was later too then fingers crossed he will manage because the A time before BT shouldn't extend. Lets hope you get just 1 rather than 3.

hope this helps

Offline Pearceuccs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 07:48:55 am »
We did ibuprofen at bedtime and it ended up being like for  1 month, dang teeth! which our dr wasn't pleased about so we stopped giving meds. His molars are in which has seemed to help (still working on the 11th though).

And we have seemed to be in a rhythm now. We did push bedtime and naps. And this week has been much better.

A630-7am finally
AT 5ish hours
Set nap 1200ish (I just moved it more to this time from 1130 recently)
        I still tweak it a bit based on wake time
       Sleeping for 2ish hours
730 Bt pushed back from 7
Sttn like 4/5 nights

Naps are varying quite a bit from 1.5-3 hours. And we seem to get bedtime resistance if he is awake  6ish hours before bedtime. And we are still working on him going to bed on his own with gradual withdrawal. Most nights he needs hand holding or atleast hand on mattress.

A couple of times this week he didn't fall asleep until 830 pm I think because he was OT. So I might have pushed the bedtime too much to fast.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 13 month old NW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 23:05:58 pm »
Sounds much better :)

Are you doing a set BT as well as a set nap time?  It's usually helpful at this age.
If he is sometimes doing a 3hr nap I'd use that as a day to shift BT if needed. If he doesn't do a 3hr nap though I'd just move BT 10 or 15 mins each day rather than a big chunk of time in one go.

With regards to meds I think it really depends on your doc. I know some docs say to just keep on with the meds and others don't.
I had trouble obtaining baby ibuprofen and paracetamol from a pharmacy here as they refused to sell both at once and said baby shouldn't be given both however my DS had been in hospital and they had instructed me to give both when he was discharged so in order to follow the paediatrician's instructions I had to go to a different pharmacy (and all the others will sell both at once without comment).  I've been instructed/advised  by the doc to use both for my DS on several other occasions too.
If your LO is in teething pain maybe ask to see a different doc to talk about meds?