Author Topic: 23 month old and sudden early wake ups!!!  (Read 1616 times)

Offline HettyO

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
23 month old and sudden early wake ups!!!
« on: October 28, 2017, 05:50:26 am »
Do little boy has been relatively straight forward sleep wise since 6 months when we introduced EASY. After some effort we cut out night BF and managed a relatively smooth 2:1nap transition.

His routine has been...

WU 6.30/7
Nap 1-3 (he still loves a solid two hours and goes down happily)
BT 7

All of a sudden though he has started to wake 5-5.30 every day for the last week. Whereas before he would wake happily and be content in his cot for a period he is now waking up crying out and upset. Have tried keeping him in cot till a more reasonable time (6) but although he will settle and lay down again he's never yet gone back to sleep. We don't offer breakfast till 7. With the early WU we have a mid morning slump around 11 but we've batted through this to try and maintain routine as opposed to reinforcing new one. Not sure if this is correct thing to do.

Clocks change tomorrow and I'm dreading having to deal with a 4 oclock WU!!! I'm 25 weeks pregnant and am tired enough as it is.

Any suggestions appreciated. I've not wanted to tweak or change anything yet as apart from EW his routine does still seem to suit him.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 23 month old and sudden early wake ups!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 07:32:09 am »
Hi there is he fine in the mood wise after the EW? If so I’d guess needs either later BT or little less nap time x
Zoe

Offline HettyO

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 20:29:57 pm »
Once he's got over the actual WU his mood is fine...and he's managed to get through till 1 for his nap (unfortunately I can't push this back due later due to childminder routine).

With clocks changing tomorrow I figured he'd get the later bedtime anyway so will see how that goes and if it makes any difference. He's not been fighting bed or nap time which is any nice been reluctant to meddle so far

I read on another post that sudden early WU can be a sign of overtired which could be linked to more active half term days maybe. I'm just guessing looking for something I can 'fix'

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 10:07:18 am »
EW can be OT or day sleep robbing from night. If it carries on you could try shaving 15 mins off the nap or pushing BT 15/30 mins later. It’s not unusual at this age for them to need 13 hour days x
Zoe

Offline HettyO

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:23:25 am »
He's back at the childminder today so will see if a return to more regimented as opposed to half term routine settles things. That could explain OT. With the clock chamge he technically went to bed later anyway but got a delighful 4am WU. If no change over the next few days will start to shave 15 mins of nap as a starting point. Got a gro clock hopefully arriving today so will see if that makes a difference. Was just so bizarre how sudden the change was. Tha is for your support. Will update in a few days (hopefully with progress)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 14:33:30 pm »
Yep they just change like that lol I’ve got a 21 month old was doing 7-7 last week then fri 5.40 WU and then 4.30 today that is to clock change.

Hope things improve keep us posted x
Zoe

Offline HettyO

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 17:56:30 pm »
They're a nightmare aren't they....just when we think we've cracked it! Love the support on here. Well this morning he took himself back off to sleep after waking at 4.10 and stayed down till 6 20 so a good morning. Hopefully the start of a new habit!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 20:47:21 pm »
Yes the site is great even if you just need reassurance or another pair of eyes there’s always help at hand.

Great update hopefully it will continue x
Zoe

Offline HettyO

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 06:55:27 am »
Though this update. We cracked a happy 6.30 WU this morning. He was still happy to play in his cot until gro clock changed colour at 6.45 when I went through to him and got him up. This means iver the week we've pished the for clock back from 6 to 6.45. We haven't actually cha he'd his routine on any other way. BT is still at 7 and he still has his 2 hour nap 1-3 so not really caused his early wakings. Hopefully can establish our new pattern or even bwtywe,get back to 7 WUs

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 07:20:57 am »
Good update, hope things keep improving x
Zoe

Offline HettyO

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 06:56:46 am »
Just thought I would update to give hope to anyone else trawling the forum like I was. Desperate for more sleep.

With the use of the geo clock we have now got little boy back to his 6.30-7 wake up. If he does wake earlier, unless there is a reason (such as the other day when he was constipated) he will stay in his room happily again until clock turns yellow. We've been able to push this time back to 7.15. It's the same for every day of the week. This has all been achieved whilst keeping bed time to 7 and a 1.52 hour afternoin nap c 1 o'clock.