Author Topic: Just after reassurance 2 yr old early wake ups  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Just after reassurance 2 yr old early wake ups
« on: October 30, 2017, 06:47:04 am »
Hi, lg has always been a fairly decent sleeper. Recently, on and off she has been waking at 5:30. We don't start the day then and she is good and stays settled in her cot amusing herself, but can then be grumpy as the day goes on.
We do have molars coming in, bottom are through, no sign of the tops but snotty drooly and cough usually indicate teeth with her.
Sat night, because of the hour back, I pushed her bedtime later from 7-7:30 and she woke at 6:30, although was 5:30 with the stupid hour!
She was tired last night due to the hour and flat out at 7, hence a 5:30 this morning!!
My plan is to push bedtime to 7:15 ish tonight, that's aiming for sleep around then.
She has around an hour nap, although yesterday I did let her sleep an hour and 20 due to the hour.
Do you think maybe she needs a slightly later bedtime now, age wise? She averages 12 hours total sleep in 24 hrs, is this enough at 2?
Thanks all c

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Just after reassurance 2 yr old early wake ups
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 19:57:23 pm »
Anyone?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 20:51:19 pm »
Hi there sorry you’ve not a reply yet. I’d say at this age a 6.30-7/7.30 day is average on an 1.5/2 hour nap but of course all are different.

When was she 2? Molars have big affects on sleep so it may well settle after they are through.
Zoe

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:58 am »
Hi, she was 2 on 31st august. We have the bottom molars, no sign of the tops yet tho 🙄
She is only averaging 11.5 hrs in 24 hrs when she was recently having 12-13 total.
Pushing bedtime a little later seems to have pushed wake up past 6 am but only just. Last night she didn't settle until almost 7:45 but was awake at 6:15.
I don't mind if she's getting enough sleep. I'm just worried about accumulating OT 😳
She only has an hour nap these days, occasionally an hour and 15 at home. Should I cap it at an hour or is she catching up with those naps?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 06:35:25 am »
Hi have you tried letting her have a longer nap, some lo need 1.5 nap and 13 hour day? If she was happy in the day I’d say she’s on enough sleep but you mention she’s grumpy so might be worth trying longer nap later Bat x
Zoe

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 15:35:55 pm »
Hi there
I see you were looking for reassurance.  My DS's sleep changed at 25 months.  He had usually done 2hr nap and 10 - 11hr night (generally 10 hrs night so 12hr total sleep in 24).  But his nights started to get shorter and shorter.  I tried capping the nap to keep night length better but it didn't suit him, I also tried skipping the nap one day per week which didn't suit him at all, so I accepted a long nap and short night which meant he was in a better mood (nights went under 10 hrs per night, even 9 and 8hrs).  He dropped his nap at 31 months cold turkey.  From that point his nights lengthened, probably something like 10-11 hrs at first and then gradually increasing to 12hrs. He stayed at 12 hrs for about 2 years or more.  He is approaching 7yo now and does about 11hrs although it varies a bit.
For reassurance then - it sounds to me like enough sleep but not necessarily in the place she needs it. The routine might need a tweak to help her be in a better mood but you might not see more sleep overall.  This could be the beginning of the nap drop but it can take a while to happen. Also I would take some reassurance that the night can lengthen after the nap is dropped so it isn't necessarily always going to be so short.  I couldn't believe getting 12hr nights from my DS, he had never done those!

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 15:51:01 pm »
Thanks so much Hun.
I have pushed her bedtime back a little to around 7:30 and this seems to have taken her to around a 6:15-6:30 wake up which I think suits her better than a 5:30!!
She seems ok in mood, well apart from the general 2 year old grumps 😂
I was thinking it may be the start of the nap drop. She does wake herself at an hour but at home she can do an hour and 15-20 and I allow this. At nursery and in the car she tends to do the hour only and in a pram can be even less, although been a while since we did a pram nap 😳
I think I kind of get how to tweak things but nice to chat about it and get some reassurance, especially whilst my hubby is away working. Hard going on your own, every credit to single parents 👍🏻😳

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 20:27:29 pm »
Just found my old post and ironically I’m going though the same again now at 2.5!! Hubby is also away again and my delightful dd has turned into a very unpleasant child to have around. It pains me to say it but I really am not enjoying her company right now.
She’s back on early wake ups, well before 6 am, regardless of what time she goes to bed. We had settled back to 12 hours in 24 of total sleep and now we’re lucky to get 10.5!!
I wouldn’t mind if it was her sleep needs but she is one miserable madam.
I know this age is difficult and I guess I’m feeling it more being home alone for 10 weeks!!!
It’s worrying me that it’s making my anxiety raise its ugly head again and I’m having early wake ups and can’t settle back off again. I can’t even bring myself to talk to my hubby on the phone for fear of just breaking down crying. I know it’s a phase but I’m still struggling x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:22:44 am »
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it right now.
I would imagine that your DD is missing her Daddy if he is away for so long.  Plus her reduced sleep is probably making her grouchy.  Plus this is a typical age for a developmental phase of disequilibrium.
delightful dd has turned into a very unpleasant child to have around. It pains me to say it but I really am not enjoying her company right now.
This is so familiar to me.  Every stage of disequilibrium I wonder where my lovely boy has gone and have to keep reminding myself this is a phase and will pass. His usual pleasant character goes out the window and he turns into a rude little so and so.  I find myself biting my tongue and counting to ten (or more) before almost every interaction with him.
This developmental phase is normal even when they have the full sleep they need so on top of short sleep it's likely a level of impulse and emotion that your DD just can't keep a lid on, making her mood and "unpleasantness" understandable.

As well as biting my tongue I try to offer my DS more cuddles.  If he is unpleasant I might ask him if he needs a hug or needs some time alone (which I know does help him, it's not done as punishment but rather to let him just do his own thing without being interrupted or nagged at) and I often remind him when he snaps at me that it isn't me that has done anything wrong or unfair so lets not fall out.

Is she still napping?  Maybe another routine change is needed?
Is her bedroom blacked out (I don't know where you are, are the mornings lighter?) to help her stay asleep?

Hugs - you will get through this.  It will pass.

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 19:41:45 pm »
Hi and thanks for replying.
She does miss him terribly as do I. He has come home for a week as he now has to stay a week longer in total so will be almost 3 months away 😢
I also do a lot of counting to ten and more and thanking my lucky stars that I am raising  a strong young lady 😂🤦‍♀️
Yes she still has an hour nap as a rule. Occasionally a little shorter. She has always been in such a good little routine at Nursery so she tend to want to follow this at home too. Obviously it does get moved a little on none Nursery says but we’re not a family to drag her about past bedtime etc. I fully appreciate how toddlers thrive off consistency to a certain degree at least xx