Author Topic: Really need help with PUPD! It's day 11 and things have gone south :(  (Read 5331 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Really need help with PUPD! It's day 11 and things have gone south :(
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 18:23:53 pm »
Based on your previous schedule of 3 hours A time, how should I adapt it if she wakes at 5/6am?
I'm going to suggest you have a read through the previous replies because I've covered quite a few options on how to move forward and really the choice is yours. In short:
- you can take the routine I posted above and just start it, regardless of WU time you go for the naps at those times and PUPD until end of nap time then run the A time until the next S time.
OR
- you can go more slowly.  If this is your preferred way I would suggest you base the first nap on 3hrs or 9am whichever is the *later* of those two times.  This means she does not nap earlier than 9am but if she was to WU at 7 it would be at 10am.  If the nap is short I suggest keeping the A time at 3hrs.

Like I said, I think reading back could help as I've covered most of what you're asking and I would just be repeating myself.
I often review threads I have started for support because some of the information might be more suitable or make more sense to me later on.

Good luck. Let me know how you get on :)

Offline Ellyphant1984

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 14:02:46 pm »
Hi, yesterday our day went ok..
WU:6am
E:7am
A:3.5 hours
S:9:30am-10:30am
E: 11am
A: 3 hours
S: 1:30pm-3:30pm
E: 4pm
S: 6:30pm

She eventually settled at 6:40pm but the problem starts after that, she woke at 9:40pm, 11:30pm and 4:10am to nurse. For the earlier two NW, she settled after 1-2 mins of crying. But for 4:10am, she stayed up and cried quite abit before settling at 6am. I woke her at 7am today and did the routine of 3 hours A time and she slept at 7:10pm after 5-10 mins of crying. But she just woke again at 9:30pm and nurse. When I put her down, she cried really badly and eventually settle after 10 mins. Had to do some PU. I don't know how the rest of tonight going to be like.. hoping it won't be like last night. Are these signs of OT? Is she not ready for 3 hour awake time? I'm quite worried :(

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 15:10:41 pm »
I woke her at 7am today and did the routine of 3 hours A time and she slept at 7:10pm after 5-10 mins of crying. But she just woke again at 9:30pm and nurse. When I put her down, she cried really badly and eventually settle after 10 mins.
Could you post your full day in the EAS format please including milk and solids feed times (have you started solids?) so I can have a look.

At this point I would not say the NWs are linked to the increase in A time or change in routine because you were getting similar NWs when you started the thread. If I see the full day though, and I have the previous day you already posted, something might jump out at me.

Is there any reflux?
Is there any sign of teething?
Are you now putting her in the cot for naps or are you still napping her in arms?

Offline Ellyphant1984

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 23:02:29 pm »
Hi, I am still napping her in arms. My husband is out of town so I don't think I can do it alone. Hence planning to start it next week. I also wanted her to get used to the A time as well. Not sure if it's a right move.

Anyway, the day went like this:

WU: 7am
E: 7am
S: 10am-11am
S: 2pm-4pm
S: 7pm

She eventually slept at 7:10pm. She woke at 9:30pm, I nurse her one side (a quick one) and she protested before settling around 9:50pm. Then woke again at 1:20am, I nurse her full feed and change her diaper, set her down at 1:40am and she stayed awake before crying out abit (without need for pupd) and settled at 2:20am. Woke again at 5:10am, I tried to settle her without nursing but she was wailing so I nurse her one side (quick one) and she protested a little when I set her down. Then she stayed awake (occasionally trying to settle) until 6:10am and she stared wailing. I did 1-2 PU and proceed to pat her back. She only settled at 6:40am. Will be waking her up in 20 mins.

For her A time, since we are in rainy season, I can't take her out much so it's just play on her play mat and I try to keep the tv on for some noise. It's just me and her in the house so sometimes it can be too quiet. Is it not stimulating enough? She seems to be awake looking around in the middle of the night for 15-30mins before trying to settle. I try to lie down and not move while she does this. We stay in the same room.

Also, I went for her 6 months check up and she only gained around 100g in the past month so I try to nurse her more during the day.. which means aside from the E time, during her A time, 30 mins or so before S time, I would nurse her. Would that create any problem?

Also, since starting pupd, the only way she settle herself and sleep is going on her tummy and burying her face. So lately I've been trying to turn her on her side or tummy and pat her back/bum so she settle faster. It seems to work unless she is really protesting and she would not let me turn her.  Not sure if it's a right thing to do.

No signs of reflux or teething. She seems ok during the day albeit being a little more tired these 2 days. Could it be mental leap? She just turned 6 months yesterday. She's in week 25.

Thank you again for your help.

Offline Ellyphant1984

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 03:01:31 am »
U haven't started solids yet since I'm planning to do BLW which require her to sit unassisted.

Also, you mentioned in your first post regarding adding to the routine if I need to be on the go for one of the naps. Wouldn't it be inconsistent if I have one nap on the go and one doing pupd? I do need to join a baby gym for her soon...

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »
Well, naps wise that day looks really good - if they had been in the cot it would be close to perfect!!

The longer NWs could just be because these are the only times you are expecting her to go to sleep in her cot.  To be honest I would have thought as you've been night training for a couple of weeks at least now that you'd have more success there, but she does seem to take a bit of time to get back off to sleep after her night feeds.

As far as I know tummy sleeping is safe so long as LO can turn front to back on their own and strong enough to lift themselves up with their arms.

ou mentioned in your first post regarding adding to the routine if I need to be on the go for one of the naps. Wouldn't it be inconsistent if I have one nap on the go and one doing pupd?
LOs will get used to a routine where one nap is in the cot and another is in the sling/car/stroller if you keep to the same naps each day. If nap one is always in the car and nap 2 is always in the cot LO will get used to this and will know that the rules for one nap are different to the rules for the other.  If though you set up a routine like this with morning nap in the car then you can expect LO to refuse to nap in the morning unless/until put in the car so it is best to try to keep every day the same.

Offline Ellyphant1984

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 13:49:12 pm »
Hi, it's the 3rd night in a row she woke up at 9:30pm. This 9:30 wake up only started since I started the 3 hour A time. She used to sleep through till at least between 11pm-1am. Then wake again between 3-6am. So I'm quite perplexed with this extra waking. Anyway, I tried to leave her to settle just now but she cried louder so I picked her up and she lay her head on my shoulder so I figured she may not be hungry! So I put her back in bed and crying ensued. After about a minute or so, she quiet down and settle. Any thoughts on this extra waking?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 14:27:31 pm »
Are you feeding at BT?
It's not on your EASY but then you said you are also feeding other times not on your EASY to give additional feeds.

The 9.30pm NW could be for food or could be a touch of OT or could be teething or developmental. TBH I wouldn't read much into it as these things can often happen for so many reasons and if it is related to the change in routine she is likely to settle down soon.

Offline Ellyphant1984

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 12:59:49 pm »
Yes as the final part of my bedtime routine I normally nurse her for quite a while (20-30mins). I find that it soothes her more than anything else I do. Fingers crossed tonight will be good. Last night wasn't that bad after the 9:30pm wake up. She woke as usual at 1am then at 3:50am and settled herself both times without crying. Though the only slept at closed to 5am after the 3:50am wake up.

Offline Ellyphant1984

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 23:13:53 pm »
Hi, I'm happy to report that bedtime is really smooth now. I set her down usually around 6:50pm and she will settle without a fuss at 7ish. However, she's still waking at 9:30-10pm and cries. I don't have to do any PU. Just saying key phrases and rubbing her tummy normally works. She would settle within 10-15mins. Then She would wake at 1:30am and we usually have a close to one hour nursing and diaper change and she settles herself without fuss. The problem is, she keeps waking between 5-6am! If she wakes at 5am, I try to settle her but sometimes have to pat her continuously for an hour, if not she would wake up. I feel she wake at 6am, I would try to delay her feeding but usually around 6:30am, she would be hungry. Is there anything I need to tweak to make her sleep later? She's ok during the day and I try to nap her as close to 10am as possible. I realize that if she sleeps a total of 3 hours daytime, she would wake at 9:30pm. If I add an extra 10 mins, she would sleep straight throug h to 1am. Here's how a typical day goes:

WU: 6am
E: 7am
A: 3 hours plus
S: between 9:40-10am for 1 hour
S: between 1:40pm-2pm for 2 hours
E: 4pm and 6pm
BT: 7pm

Should I make her bedtime earlier? Should I give her more daytime nap since sleep begets sleep? thanks

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 19:04:16 pm »
If you can get that first nap a bit longer, more like 1hr 30 then perhaps you would be able to have a later BT (and sleep later) and also more day time sleep which is what you are saying she needs to get through the first part of the night.  That first A time is already quite long though so I'm not sure if you'd want to extend it. Does she ever sleep more than the hour?

Offline Ellyphant1984

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 17:19:46 pm »
Hi, I've been trying to extend the first nap but with no success. It's worst now, she only sleeps 30 mins and she wakes earlier. So even if she wakes up at 5am, he still naps at 9:40am until 10:10am. Then next nap at 1:40pm to 4pm. BT at 7pm. For the last 2 nights, she's been getting up at 1am until 3am, refuse to sleep. I'm not sure what happened. And she wakes at 6am still! Please help :(

The day goes like this:
WU: 6am
E:6:30am
A: 3 hours plus
S:9:40am-10:10am
S: 1:40pm- 4pm
BT: 7pm

Up again at 1am to 3am!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 09:52:09 am »
Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I've hurt my back and haven't been able to come on to BW. I'll highlight in the mod forum that you could do with some support and hopefully someone else can pop over for you.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 10:31:23 am »
Hi Ellyphant1984 - How are things now for you?