Author Topic: Clocks going back have ruined our routine!! Help please  (Read 1568 times)

Offline BobbysMummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Clocks going back have ruined our routine!! Help please
« on: November 01, 2017, 05:26:53 am »
So as I’m in the uk we’ve just had our clock go back an hour for fall. This has literally ruined all my hard work. For the last 4 days he’s been up between 4/5am every day. He then had an hour and a half sleep yesterday am. But then only 20 mins in the afternoon. He’s just turned 1. In the last 24 hours he’s had 11.20 hours sleep... he’s so overtired. What can I do to get him back to a 11/12 hour night??

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Clocks going back have ruined our routine!! Help please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 06:38:27 am »
Hi there we’re in uk too and urghh I hate clock change. 4.30 we were up on mon lol not good.
What was your routine like?
Zoe

Offline BobbysMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:04:36 am »
It’s such a pain!! Ok before clocks went back our days looked something like this:
6/7am WU and bottle
7.30 breakfast
9.30 nap (3.5hr A time is what he usually has)
10.30 WU and snack
11.30/12 lunch
1.30/2 nap
3.30pm WU
5pm dinner
6/6.30 bath
6.45 bottle
7pm asleep

That seemed to work for us fine until the clocks went back! X

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 14:53:38 pm »
I’m sure you’ll get it back, what time are you doing nap and BT now!?
Zoe

Offline BobbysMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 20:59:24 pm »
Well today he was up for the day at 4.30 so we did nap at 8.30 and I woke him at 10. Next nap was 1.45 and I had to wake him at 4. I think he’s so tired I wanted to let him catch up a bit, he’s got dark circles under his eyes. Plus he’s staying at grandmas tonight so I didn’t mind him having a longer afternoon nap 😂 jokes. He fell straight asleep at 7 she said. Do you think he could be over tired and need a few days of longer naps? Or could that be detrimental? I can’t believe he only had 9 9 hours night sleep last night, that’s just not enough for a only just 1 year old is it!! X

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 21:31:35 pm »
Hope you enjoy a peaceful night  ;D

I’d say you have some OT in there as most lo his age would do a 13 hour day so with WU 4.30 you need a 5.30 bt obv not good long term but have you tried a super early BT to see if they helps!? Sometimes helps if they get a longer night even with EW then you can start moving the day out.
I’d try and push the am nap to get back to normal, maybe try 30 mins per day or if he can’t manage do the CN around 9am for 30/40 mins then try for long nap maybe 12?x
Zoe

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 14:50:06 pm »
Hello, hope you don't mind me jumping in. I had experience of my DS not shifting his body clock WU time with the clock change so I tend to spot the clock change threads.
I do agree with Zoe about  moving the first nap back to it's original time, I wouldn't be offering earlier because he's already had a few days to adjust but is not shifting.
What worked best for me was to shift everything *beyond* the original hour that it needed to move. Going up in chunks of 15 - 30 mins every day, not waiting for each shift to show itself in the routine but to just keep going until you are the equivalent of 1.5 or 2hrs changed instead of 1hr (make sense?). Eventually my DS's body clock shifted, we were at 1hr 30 change at that point when he finally woke up later. From there I held for a day or 2 then slowly slowly brought things back that additional half hour, not in a half hour chunk but more like 10 mins each day, checking that WU didn't get early again.
Initially you get the OT but my DS would have lived on the shorter night forever and not moved his WU time so the OT would drag on and on and on. With changing more rapidly and beyond the hour he was kind of forced to shift his WU and the result was less OT in the longer term because it didn't drag on for so long.
One of the best things I read about the clock change (so I always pass it on) was to move all their habitual times not just the sleeps, so every meal, snack, activity, bath time etc as these all help them know where they are up to in the day.
I hope that makes some sense. And good luck.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 14:51:46 pm by creations »

Offline MorrisH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 09:08:18 am »
Hope you enjoy a peaceful night  ;D

I’d say you have some OT in there as most lo his age would do a 13 hour day so with WU 4.30 you need a 5.30 bt obv not good long term but have you tried a super early BT to see if they helps!? Sometimes helps if they get a longer night even with EW then you can start moving the day out.
I’d try and push the am nap to get back to normal, maybe try 30 mins per day or if he can’t manage do the CN around 9am for 30/40 mins then try for long nap maybe 12?x

I hate the initial couple of weeks after clock changes. They're the worst. I found no magical solution to this though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 20:01:48 pm by MorrisH »