Author Topic: 8.5 week old good night sleeper but catnaps in day  (Read 1577 times)

Offline BlueandPinkMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8.5 week old good night sleeper but catnaps in day
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:06:43 am »
Hello,
My DD is nearly 9 weeks, she sleeps well at night (1 waking around 2.3am for BF). Wakes around 7am, I feed, change etc and she's tired within an hour but catnapped ALL morning.

Yesterday I drove myself mad trying to settle her in basket, trying not to feed to sleep, she would sleep in it and settle herself but only for 15/20mins.
In the afternoon just after 1pm she can sleep for a very long time. Will then have a catnap before the bedtime routine and is fast asleep by 7pm.

So afternoons are fine but mornings are a shambles and don't know how to help her. She's currently asleep in my arms and I'm not going to move as decided to enjoy this but she still wakes after 20mins.

If she's slept well at night why is she acting overtired in the mornings?

** Have to add I have 2 year old DS (who did SO well on EASY!) so am struggling to keep DD on EASY, she's a very clingy baby.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 8.5 week old good night sleeper but catnaps in day
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:02:37 pm »
20min naps are more often overstimulation or pain rather than OT. Very difficult to avoid OS with a 2yo around... are you able to try a longer wind down?

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 12:20:44 pm »
Well she is still very young and doing so well for 9 weeks!!! That's great that she is sleeping so well in the afternoon and at night.  Baby should be doing activity time from 1:15 to 1:30ht at the high end. What is the baby sitting at now for an activity time? Sometime just 5 or ten mins can do the trick.

Offline BlueandPinkMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 04:07:38 am »
You know I never considered that my toddler could be over stimulating for her, all she does is watch him! But it makes sense now. During the week he's at nursery or grandparents though so she does have a long stretch without her brother until evening.

Since writing the post she did go down so well for her morning nap in her basket as I rubbed her tummy, that was AT of half & half from waking. I watched for the sleep cues and she was asleep  in 5mins.

Couldn't get the same to happen in the afternoon so do wonder if it's because of toddler around, distractions,  over-stimulation as mentioned.

Offline BlueandPinkMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:11:59 am »
That was meant to say an activity time of hour & a half  :)   (4am, feeding in the dark & over tired!!)

This is pretty average for her although can get tired quicker in the morning (after just an hour she's yawning)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:14:03 am »
Glad she's had a good nap here and there. She's still very young and will settle into life in the outside world in time.