Author Topic: 12 month old long NW - going on 4weeks now!!  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Lavender26

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
12 month old long NW - going on 4weeks now!!
« on: November 03, 2017, 14:34:53 pm »
Wonder if anyone can help with DD2? Just before her first Birthday she started waking in the night. I thought it was teething at first, a bit of SA maybe but 4 weeks on I'm still having the same problem! She wakes at about 1 /2am for almost 2 hours. I've tried WIWO, shush pat, and even resorted to sleeping on the floor to shush her to sleep! After two weeks of doing this, I tried feeding her and to my surprise she took it and would go straight back to sleep. We did this for a week (growth spurt I thought) but one night she fed and still wouldn't settle back. Another night she went to feed but gagged on the bottle and refused it so we were back to another 2 hour long NW. If she wakes at 4, I have no chance of getting her back to sleep and we end up getting up at 6. I have a 5 year old just started school so I don't like DD2 waking her up at 4am.

She has always been a brilliant sleeper, goes to sleep independently, always put to sleep awake and never falls asleep having a feed. Her molars are coming through, I can see one has cut but we've been like this for weeks. We hit a similar rocky patch at 8 months but after a week of going back to having a night feed she just started sleeping through again.

Our easy is: or used to be

A 6:30
E 7:30 breakfast followed by milk
S 9:30 for 30min (I wake)
E 12:00 lunch
S 1/ 1:30 to 3 (sleeps for 1 1/2 to 2hrs
E 2:30/3 milk although she has refused this the last 3 days
E 5:00 dinner
S 7:00 milk and bed

She is moving to one nap I think and today she woke at 7:30 (after a 3am NW for 1 hour) and had her first nap at 12:30. She is going on 2hrs so will wake soon and hope for the best tonight!

I can't work out if its developmental, a routine tweak needed or if I've just rushed in too quickly causing her to want 'company' in the middle of the night! Last night I let her cry for about 5 min before going in to settle her, she calmed down immediately but started again when I left. I'm shattered and need some rest especially with a demanding 5 year old! Any help muchly appreciated.

Offline Lavender26

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 12 month old long NW - going on 4weeks now!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 20:05:47 pm »
Can anyone help? Up again last night at 3 and 4am! Do you think she is getting too much sleep or maybe overtired? She only had one nap yesterday for 2hrs 15min so thought she would be super tired? Any advice would really be appreciated xx

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:34:20 am »
Hi there it’s so tough when you have an older one too, I definitely go in quicker with DS2 to avoid my DS1 waking although most of the time he doesn’t.

Routine wise I think it looks good, we had a very similar routine until DS2 was around 17/18 months, you could prob push BT by half an hour if you have a 2 hour nap.

Are NW happy/chatty or upset? She won’t need a night feed now so it’s great you’ve stopped that, if you think teeth are you medicating at start of NW? Molars are painful and always cause wake ups here, I medicate at BT with ibuprofen and paracetamol in middle of the night. x

Zoe

Offline Lavender26

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 21:16:44 pm »
Hi, thank you so much for your reply and advice. I give meds as soon as she wakes. She starts off upset but settles as soon as I lie her back down and shush for a bit. She will start crying again if I leave the room or step away from her cot. Sometimes she will go back to sleep only to wake 20/30 min later (even after meds). We seem to go round in circles for so long I think she just becomes even more awake and will 'chat' for a bit.

Yesterday she was awake for 6:30 and DH said she was asleep for 9:20am (I was at ballet with DD1) and slept for 1hr 40min. We had such a busy day after that she never slept again so had 8hrs A time before bed!! And then slept through to 7am! I will try and push bedtime back as you suggested or cap her afternoon nap and see how we get on. Will keep you posted xx

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 21:39:05 pm »
It sounds like teeth really but then with all the things going on at this age could be developmental. Fingers crossed it passes soon, let us know how you’re doing  :) x
Zoe