Author Topic: 2 Month Old wakes up when pacifier falls out...HELP!  (Read 2877 times)

Offline dinakab

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2 Month Old wakes up when pacifier falls out...HELP!
« on: November 08, 2017, 13:38:39 pm »
My daughter just turned 2 months and we might be facing a pacifier problem already.
I just recently got her naps sorted out (by yawn 3 she is taken to her room, we draw the blinds, swaddle, then put her down in bed with white noise on and her pacifier) At first she would cry once or twice and we would have to pat her, but then after 2 or 3 times trying this technique she started putting herself to sleep. Magic? We thought so! This only lasted a week. Now our new problem is that once the pacifier falls out she wakes up and starts crying (where as before she didn't)...my husband and I take shifts having to put it back in and this can take anywhere from 2-10 times...Has the paci become a prop? (She's only 8 weeks...a bit early no?)
My only issue other than having to run back in countless times is that having the paci fall out ends up waking her up from the nap and we have to start all over... it sometimes cuts her nap short and she wont go back to sleep. I really thought we had a good thing going  :(

OH We do the same thing for her bedtime but it works better for some reason...she will drop the paci once or twice and thats it.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 2 Month Old wakes up when pacifier falls out...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 20:04:28 pm »
Hi there, and welcome!  I'm afraid I personally don't have much experience with using a paci but I didn't want your post to go unanswered - I will certainly see if someone else can offer you their words of advice!  Did you want to post your routine in the mean time to see if there is anything there which might help?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 01:16:52 am »
Hi :)

Pacifiers are a bit tricky sometimes when you're just starting out. We tried a few different designs before we found one that DS kept in, its mainly to do with the shape of the teat and the shape of the mouth.  A prop is assistance you're providing that you're not happy to provide - so you are the one who makes the call on whether its a prop or not.

Something else to consider is that she may be hungry - DS would deliberately spit out his dummy if he was hungry. Its around about growth spurt time too, at this age :)

If its not working, its not necessarily worth persisting given the paci has to be weaned at some point.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:40:17 am »
Hi there
i just replied to your other thread.

I wanted to add to what the others have said.  Your LO has been diagnosed with silent reflux and many refluxers gain pain relief by sucking (swallowing) so that could be contributing to needing to be re-plugged many times - on a different medication she might no longer need to be replugged as she wouldn't have the4 same need to suck/swallow.
Also, whilst paci's are considered props there is also research which suggests it is safer for LO to sleep with a paci (SIDS guidance) so if you do stick with it maybe just focus on the positive aspect.  You don't need to feel any guilt around paci use.

My own refluxer refused a paci so I didn't have the decision to make to continue with one or not.

Offline lkat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 21:58:47 pm »
Hi there,

My DD (now almost 6 months) also had a paci dependency at that age. It was awful and her naps were a disaster for a time. She slept fine at night but during naps would wake up as soon as it fell out or every few minutes. She was already starting to suck her fingers so when she was looking to comfort suck before sleep I just put her thumb into her mouth, lol. After a few days she did it on her own and then her naps really improved. She would sleep for 1.5-2.5 hrs at a time. For whatever reason her thumb falling out of her mouth didn't wake her up like the paci falling out used to, not sure why. I still pop the paci in for naps/bedtime out of habit and sometimes she'll keep it in and sometimes she'll pop it out and start sucking her fingers instead.

Offline dinakab

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:10:36 am »
Thanks everyone for replying!

Our typical day (before the paci issue) usually looks like the below:

7.00 E
7.40 A
8.15 S

10.00 E
10.30 A
11.10 S

12.45 E
13.15 A
14.00 S

16.00 E
16.30 A
17.30 S (Catnap)

18.00 Bathtime
18.30 E
19.15 S

23.00 E (DreamFeed)

Her naps used to last from 1hr to 2hrs now we get 20-30mins of uninterrupted sleep and the rest is us having to give her the paci

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 22:15:17 pm »
So that sounds to me like pain or overstimulation for the 20min naps and the same +/- overtired for the 30min ones... I think given reflux is in the picture, I'd stick with the paci, find one she likes and cross your fingers. Not sure if medication is in the picture but its worth considering a trial if not and an increase if the dose hasn't changed in a week or two as its weight-dependent and as she grows, she'll need more. This is a common age for reflux to play havoc with sleep.