Author Topic: 2,5 toddler night waking and wanting us to stay in his room  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Jojo290615

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2,5 toddler night waking and wanting us to stay in his room
« on: November 09, 2017, 15:03:37 pm »
 Hi
I was wondering if someone could advise me.. didn’t get a reply to my last post.. but things have evolved a little since then anyway.

For about 3 weeks, my LO Has not been sleeping as good as he usually does. He had a cold, got better then this week tonsillitis.
He is better now.. but we are struggling at bedtime and also at nap time. He doesn’t want to go to bed and when we have finally got him in, he wants us to stay. This never used to happen. We use to read a couple of books, kiss and cuddle goodnight then close the door and he would chat to his toys, read some books and then fall asleep.
Since then he wants the night light on and the door wide open which is fair enough.. we just close the door when he falls asleep, then open it again when we go to bed. We  have a one storey house.

My lo goes to daycare everyday, naps around 12h for about 1 hour to 1h20. Then he  goes to bed around 7:00 and takes 30 mins to fall asleep. We have tried later bedtime but he still needs 30 mins to wind down in his crib.
We have a good bedtime routine. Bath, massage ( when he wants!) teeth and a couple of books. We transition also before bath time to some quiet time with some cartoons. We haven’t changed anything in our bedtime routine.
He wakes up around 6:00 -6h20 and used to stay in his bed until 6:45.. the time the sun comes up on his gro clock.

He has been waking in the night, calling us and we resettle him but then he wants us to stay in his room! We have started gradually sitting closer to the door etc and the same at bedtime, now he expects us to sit there!

How Can I get him back to saying goodnight, walking out the door and him settling alone?

We are expecting a little sister in December so would really like to get this sorted before! As I suspect her arrival will cause some sleep disruption too.

Thank you ! x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 2,5 toddler night waking and wanting us to stay in his room
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:59:37 am »
Hello, I am very sorry that your post has been missed x

This could be a regression which can happen around the half year mark.

I think that you are doing the right thing but now need to move outside of the door so that he cannot see you and use your voice to reassure him that you are still there. If he is an independent sleeper it shouldn't take him long to get used to not seeing you but knowing that you are still there.

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 2,5 toddler night waking and wanting us to stay in his room
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:53:00 am »
I agree with PP.

Another thing to consider is that he could be a touch UT at BT.  Has he been on this length nap for a while?  With both my two I found that when they were UT I got SA-like behaviour at BT. 

Have you tried any days with a shorter nap?  Does he settle any better then?  You might need to try it for a while though to see a change.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old