Author Topic: Getting Baby Back to Sleep  (Read 1656 times)

Offline MommaA

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 09, 2017, 23:56:23 pm »
Hello!
I am the mom of a 5 week old baby boy and am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for getting my babe back to sleep after his night time feeds? Sometimes it takes me an hour to 75 minutes to get him back to sleep! We walk, we rock, we are still ... nothing seems to be overly successful. Thoughts?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Getting Baby Back to Sleep
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 06:56:39 am »
Hi there is he unsettled and crying or just awake and chilling out!?x
Zoe

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:59:39 am »
Welcome to the boards!

If you can give us some more info and post your routine if you have any at the moment we can help you better.

I'm also going to move this over to the sleep boards as that would be a more appropriate place to get help.

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:15:09 am »
Hello and welcome to BW :)

Dr Harvey Karps 5S (swaddle, side, shush, swing, suck) is great for very young babies, works like magic.  It fits very well with the BW methods and has been used by a few of us here when our babies were tiny.  There are some videos available on the internet of how to go about it.  maybe try that.
Not sure where you are or what the weather is like but when mine was tiny I was advised to pop a warm (not hot) water bottle into his cot when I lifted him out so that it was not chilly when I put him back in.  You must remove it and you must make sure it is not over warm, just enough to make it feel like body temp and not chilly.

Offline MommaA

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 15:33:08 pm »
I just switched to 5 oz of formula at each feed. We are currently feeding every 3 hours. Yesterday I tried the cluster feeds too. He currently weights 11 pounds. We have been putting a heated blanket in his bassinet, removing it before we put him back in it to keep the temperature warm. I live in Canada and it's currently quite cold but he seems to be okay for temperature.
I will try the 5S. He doesn't like a tight swaddle and he likes to have his hands out.

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 14:49:38 pm »
BW doesn’t condone leaving them to cry it out.
Could he have some day/night confusion? Make sure it’s quiet and dark at night, don’t engage him. By contrast day time have the curtains open, chat to him, show him stuff. His body should adjust after some time.
If you post your routine it will help the clever ladies here check if the problem is elsewhere
Something like this:
WU (wake up) 7am
E 50ml
S (sleep) 8am
WU 10am etc

Also take a look at the faqs - amount of day/night sleep appropriate for his age to see.
Don’t know how to paste that in lol