Author Topic: 1 Week old, when does paci become a sleep prop  (Read 1485 times)

Offline michelle3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 Week old, when does paci become a sleep prop
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:11:07 am »
My 1 week old is desperate for his paci to sleep.  The problem is that he wakes up frantic every time it falls out (usually doesn't take long and happens cobstantly!.  I don't want to keep popping it in and make him completely dependent but it is a major ordeal to get him to sleep without it...  He is so young, where is the line?  Maybe I should be ok with popping it back in the first 20 min tell he is good asleep? Though that feels like a lot!.  Also what about at night when he wakes too early to feed ?  He takes well to the easy routine other then getting down for nap time and I can tell he is overtired during the day because of trouble getting to sleep.

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: 1 Week old, when does paci become a sleep prop
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 20:35:04 pm »
Hi and welcome to BW.

Have you tried the wubbanub or a different paci? My son didn't take to a paci, though I wish he did, but I heard the wubbanub is easier to prop and stay in baby's mouth.  But yes, as young as he is, I wouldn't worry about it being a prop just yet.

Definitely feel free to put him down earlier for nap and also feed him a bit earlier in the night...especially if you feel he is getting OT.  At a week old, on-demand feeding isn't out of the question.  You can certainly wait a few mins but if he protests hard, please feed him, so he can go back to sleep and so can you.

Offline michelle3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 00:46:24 am »
Thank you so much!  Last night I did end up feeding him on demand.  He was up every hour for the most part but we still got good sleep so it was worth it!  I also put him down for naps much sooner after eating today and it went much smoother.  It is so much less stressful if I am not so worried about the paci!

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 18:26:59 pm »
Oh so good to hear that it went better for you.  The first few weeks is so tough and baby is just learning to communicate needs... so do what you can and survive and sleep. =) Many hugs.