Author Topic: Confused about A times after illness  (Read 2357 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Confused about A times after illness
« on: November 17, 2017, 16:50:09 pm »
DD was sick for a week and up for hours at night crying and now that she is on the mend I don’t teally know what I’m working with.
Just before she got sick we had one night where she woke at 10pm and we couldn’t get her back to sleep till 11.30 - she was all bright eyed and chatty. I figured it was time for an increase in A time - we had been on 1.40 A and the next day I bumped it up to 2hA and got:
A 2h s 30min, A 1.2h s 1.45min, A 2h s 30min - you get the picture
That night was awful, she woke at 4am and I couldn’t get her back down till 6 and then she slept on me till 8am. Next day a fever hit, her A time and S were whatever, nights she was up multiple times, slept only on me.
As of yesterday she’s been better but her A time yesterday was 1h - not surprised after the awful nights. Bed time took 2h but thankfully the night was good.
My easy today:
WU 8am, A 1.40min S 40min
A 1.30 - yelled till it ended up being 1.50, s 35min
A 1h, s 2h
A 1,35min, S 50min - sister woke her,  will aim for BT of 7.30 because she woke from the cn at 6

So What do you make of that?
I don’t think she can do 2h A time and that was one of the things that contributed to the bad nights.

I was thinking to do A1 2h, then the rest 1.45min? Also, how much would you shorten the A time by if the nap is short? And one final question, if she woke at 8am but short naps bring us to an overly long final A time, would you do a an early BT or just push through the OT and keep BT the same?

After a week of 3-4 hours of sleep a night I’m overly anxious about getting the easy wrong and landing up with nw again.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 18:13:09 pm by eva026 »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Confused about A times after illness
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 18:55:23 pm »
Hi sorry to hear LO was poorly.
I wouldn't read much if anything into the bad night prior to being ill it was likely the illness coming on.

I'd prob go with 1hr 45 to 1hr 50 something not too far off from your previous routine.
Only shorten by maybe 10 or 15 mins after a very short nap.
And either another nap/CN then later BT if necessary or very early BT to avoid long A time before bed.

hope that helps

Offline eva026

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 06:56:16 am »
That does help thanks. So only shortening A by 15min is enough? Ok will try that.
Yesterday I tried for EBT but she kept waking and we ended up with 7.45 anyway.
Do you think trying for a longer A first thing is not a good idea yet? We’ve had 2 good nights in a row now 😃

Offline eva026

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:43:58 am »
We are on  1.20 A for her first A and she’s already yawning and rubbing her eyes. Do I follow her sleep cues or carry on till 1.45?

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 18:56:17 pm »
Good to hear that you had 2 good nights :)
She might be okay with the A time you were on before illness, I think it was 1hr 40, unless she really shows that it isn't working for her.

Offline eva026

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 08:01:21 am »
I don’t know what is going on with her sleep. After a week of illness and being up for hours at night, since last Thursday she had maybe 2 normal nights. The rest have been very restless, she gets fidgety at 3am and just thrashes around white me trying to stroke her and calm her down for ages. Last night she was up 1-3am then 4am for a half hour at least, up for the day 1h before she usually is at 7 ( I know, 7am is good for most people but for me anything before 7.30 is ew)
Our easy has been A 1.45-50, s 1.30, or s 45min, A 1.30min
I’ve been trying to put in a cn or ebt if the A to bt is too long.

Yesterday
WU 8am
A 1.5
S 1.30
A 1.5
S 1.45
Then I had to go in to the dr so she ended up with an A of 2h and totally OS
S 30min (5.20pm)
Tried to get her down for a cn but it did t work
EBT at 7.20 pm (ended up with an A of 2h)
NF 9pm ( couldn’t get any milk into her at BT )
NF 12.30
Nw 1-3pm - slept on me till 4am
NF 4am - couldn’t get her to sleep till 4.30am
WU 7am

I looked back and noticed that she went from 1-2 NF to 3-4 NF on the 21 of October, so it can’t be a gs going on so long? Sleep regression? Am I doing sth wrong?
The A time looks ok, she’s more on the hsn side. A1.50 is ok and extendable after 40min but 2 h gives 30min naps and can’t extend because she’s usually in tears when she wakes.
I’m pretty tired, she must be too.

Offline eva026

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:44:39 am »
So far today (will update you as she goes along)
WU 7am
S 8.45 - woke up 9.30 and I couldn’t resettle- under tired?
A 1.25ish (not Sure)
S 1.40min - woke 3 times crying and needed resetting, finally woke up crying hysterically.
A 1.25 - apoped a nap as we have to leave at 3pm
S 30min woke her
A 1.40min very tired we are in town os probably
S in wrap in town 25-30min totally os from bus and crowds
A 1.30
S (it’s 6pm) 40min
Will aim for BT 8pm finishing the day with a 1.20min A

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 17:40:57 pm by eva026 »

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 19:06:24 pm »
Any chance of teething and it's not routine at all?  I see that on similar times you get some good naps and some disturbed so I'm wondering if it's something else.
Any reflux or silent reflux?

Offline eva026

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 19:39:42 pm »
She could be teething, her fingers are constantly in her mouth and we did have one day, just before she got sick, where she would not bf from 8am-5pm.
The she doesn’t look like she is in pain during the day or during the nw. We co sleep from after the first NF and when she woke last night I tried to feed her,then half asleep tried to stroke her, finally after 30min with her wide awake DH tried to rock her (she threw a fit) and after I fed her and rocked her to sleep - she then slept on my arm.

Nothing makes sense right? A average for her age. I try get 2 good naps a day holding her (yes I know, will tackle that later) so she can’t be massively OT. My gut tells me the 1.50 A time is good and usually easiest to extend.

I don’t know if this will help, but she is rocked to sleep. I started the gentle removal plan before she got sick and was down to no rocking just holding for BT, very gently rocking for naps and transitions or just holding and stroking. We even got a few translations with just httj. The illness has now landed me in square one. Back to rocking her standing for transitions but sitting for start of the nap and BT. Could that be the problem? I was hoping to wait till she’s 6mo to sleep train. She’ll hopefully be on 2 naps then not 4 or 5!

Maybe take her back to the dr to check her ear? Although like I said, no signs of pain.

She gets 4-5 feeds a day and 3 at night (used to be 2 or 1 till a month ago - what’s up with that?) so eating well I think.

Can’t think of anything else...

She fell asleep at 8.15pm
Holding thumbs I get some sleep tonight

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 21:26:19 pm »
Sorry, nothing else is coming to mind at the moment. My only other thought really is that sleep training would help but you can only do that when you are ready to do it (and not if she is poorly or teething really - it's harder anyway).

Offline eva026

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 06:55:59 am »
Last night was better. She ended up with a BT of 8.15, NF 12,3 then woke 5am couldn’t resettle with the dummy or patting so finally fed and she fell asleep. Woke up 7.30 not hungry at all.
I can’t see that much of a difference between yesterday where the night was ok and the day before where we had the long nw.
Sleep training for sure but first I have to get to a point where she’s going to sleep with me laying next to her patting not in my arms. Working on that slowly. Btw DH can do it grrr! I’m hoping by 6 months is can also connect sleep cycles like her sister could and then things will be easier. With her sister I was a stressed out wreck trying to sleep train and she just started connecting sleep cycles on her own at 6 months and all that was lest was to teach her to go to sleep on her own.

So the conclusion is the easy is ok, A times look ok and she doesn’t look ot or ut enough for these long nw?

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 14:58:07 pm »
Yeah, sorry that's all I can think of for now - either teething/pain or sleep training issues.
Feel free to start a new thread in NWs though for fresh eyes, perhaps someone else would pick up something i'm not seeing. x

Offline eva026

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 15:53:07 pm »
Thanks! Ill give her another few days on the 1.50 A and see if it settles, maybe it’s still leftover effect from the illness. If not I’ll have a look on the nw board.
I tried her on 2hA this morning and it was definitely too much, 30min nap.

I guess I’m kind of slowly sleep training, gentle removal of rocking kind of counts ( to make me feel like I’m doing something).