Author Topic: 10 weeks old - can I use pu/pd?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Suvito

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 17, 2017, 22:37:04 pm »
Hi everyone,
I read some other posts regarding indipendent sleep issues with small babies which has been helpful.
I still have some questions though: can I start with pu/pd as soon as my DD turns 3 months or do you advice to wait a little longer (or maybe even less??)?
My my DS I used it at 4,5 months to take away the prop in his case the pacifier. As I was very successful with it I would like to use it but I don't want to mess it up by wrong timing....
In general my DD is much more difficult than My DS ever was so I'm quite worried she will never become a good sleeper. It just seems she fights sleep a lot and prefers to stay awake and where things are happening...! At 2,5 months I can only make her fall asleep in my arms or a vibrating car seat toy...
the only moment where she is kind of falling asleep by herself is after the night feeding between 4-6 am. I put her back in her crip and she would make all sort of sounds but not cry... I wish she would do the same for nap time...
thank you for any advice!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 10 weeks old - can I use pu/pd?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 21:25:51 pm »
I have a feeling that somewhere in her books Tracy did talk about using PUPD at 3 months, but the general advice is from 4 months on, and the only after a last resort after shh pat has been tried consistently without success.  My understanding however is that shh pat and PUPD are really more of a continuum rather than separate things - as in, with shh pat you try to calm in the cot, but would pick up if needed to calm them down.  With PUPD the aim is still at younger ages to calm in the cot, only really picking up when necessary.  So not too different!  All that said.....I still think 10-11 weeks old is ok not to be settling easily.  Both of mine were only just starting to get it at that point, and often needed a lot of help.  I found a big difference between 3 and 4 months though - so perhaps start out now with shh pat, keep your expectations low (for now) and just see how you get on?