Author Topic: 20 mo possible habitual night waking  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
20 mo possible habitual night waking
« on: November 18, 2017, 23:37:24 pm »
LO is sleeping so much better these days, we have finally had a handful of STTN lately, but for the past week or so he is crying out at 10pm and then waking up (sometimes very unhappy, sometimes just to be awake) at 4:30. He usually goes back to sleep either after chatting for a while or after some meds if he sounds sore. Then sleeps till woken by brother or till 6:30.

He usually VERY tired in the mornings and given the slightest chance will sleep again at 10am. If he falls asleep in the car I wake him if its before 11. I am trying to get one nap at 12 - 2. He does usually sleep 2 hours and well during the day. Then BT 7/7:30pm.

I thought one week is a bit early to start W2S and no-one wants to set the alarm for 3:30 esp when I have had W2S backfire horribly before :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 20 mo possible habitual night waking
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 16:31:36 pm »
I am so sorry your post has been missed - I will bump it for you. xx

How are things now?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:31:07 am »
Hi there
Has it settled down now?  I'm wondering if it was perhaps a language leap?

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:01:53 am »
I'm afraid not... he definitely has had a language leap, but honestly, he has never sttn more than 3/4 nights in a row. It has to be more "systemic" than that. It seems like he is just accustomed to having a little attention in the night. Why wake up for it? I don't know. Then he wakes up for the day at 5!   Aaaah!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 17:57:56 pm »
Could you try a bit of wake to sleep just before 10pm?

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 20:35:48 pm »
Yes - that worked once or twice... but it doesn’t always work. I think it was a language leap before. But it’s always something now it’s the shots he had, then it’s a cold, then you think oh it’s teeth. This problem has been ALL HIS LIFE FIR SOME REASON OR ANOTHER. sometimes I think it’s paci prop. But so many times I go to him and he has a paci in. I’ll give him another one and he’ll switch and be happy!!! Or if I give him a syringe of juice. I don’t know he seems to just wake up.  Let me reiterate that he falls alsleep independently really really well. He goes to bed by 7 every night and he naps at least 2 hrs usually more. I tried for weeks trimming the nap (2hrs) with no success. One day DH had the kids, let him nap over 3 he’s and that night he slept through! So now I try let him wake by himself but cap at 3pmi even thought about trying to go back to 2 naps but that’s age inappropriate.

Offline crispysage2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:50:58 am »
Please help anyone. Short of lying with him or holding him we are Cio. He seems to just want something sweet (medicine) or water can’t do that twice a night every night and get up at 5am. It’s not good for parenting. I am at a loss.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:57:48 am »
Hi there
Sorry I've not been around for ages as I hurt my  back.

Honestly I felt like the entire year from 12 - 24 months my DS had disturbed sleep. WE only had 3 nights in a row between the bouts of teething which went on ALL year.  Plus the colds the developments urgh it was awful.

As your DS is a good independent sleeper at BT I really think he is just having a tricky time with all the colds, teething etc and rather than worry about ruining his independence you may need to just accept that he needs you quite a lot this year.  It does eventually pass. Exhausting though I know.

I wouldn't try to go to 2 naps.  But if a longer nap helps then fine.
Please respond to him when he needs you, I know you are tired but this will pass.  If he is using the paci as a lovey and switching from one to another helps him can you put several in his cot, show him where they are kept and how to get one and encourage him to have a go himself?

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 23:06:04 pm »
Thanks :) He has 5 paci's though they do often fall out the crib during the night. (no bumper!) Either buy a bumper and more paci's or wean the paci! (which I am hesitant to do for the moment... so useful when we get home to transfer from car nap to paci in the crib...) Did you co-sleep or just get up repeatedly?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 14:54:31 pm »
We never co-sleep. When my DS has been very very ill we have had a very rare night where he's come in with me but he doesn't sleep well at all in my  bed so it is extremely rare that he would even agree to come into my bed.  I did have to go to him a lot when he was teething or ill, yes.

We didn't have paci's so I haven't had the problem of losing them in the cot but aren't there some sort of pocket type thing that you can attach to the cot bars to keep pacis in? So if they lose on in the night they know they can find another there?  I assume you wouldn't want to buy bumpers at this point, they are a danger for toddlers to use as a step up to climb over cot bars and fall out anyway.
What about the paci clips that clip to the onsie??

there must be people on the forum who have good tips and ideas for pacis in cots.

I would think the bad nights are going to settle in a few months for you, FX.

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 07:29:33 am »
Ah thanks you are a gem. I actually did buy a bumper - you get these "breathable" mesh ones that just slide down if you stand on it. FYI https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U5PL6A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

He has been miserable during the day so I am sure it's the next canine. I have medicated well and gotten two nights with a 5 hr stretch.  ;D

We are hanging in there  :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 19:02:19 pm »
Ah that bumper sounds great for you. Hopefully he can find his dummy a bit easier without them all dropping out of the cot.

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 23:31:13 pm »
Thanks - we are back "in it"  :(