Author Topic: 8month old PD, how long to keep hand on  (Read 4570 times)

Offline pipparmenter

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 22, 2017, 21:24:29 pm »
Hey,

I have just started this method with my 8month old who is a frequent night waker. I am just a little unsure, when I lay him down after he stands up, how long to maintain contact with him. We've just had our first wake up and after lying him down I put my hand on his tummy and told him it was night time and he needed to sleep etc and then once he stopped crying I took my hand away and sat in a chair near him but facing slightly away from him so he knew I was there but I wasn't engaging with him. He got up a few times and I did the same and then he cried on and off but stopped getting up and it was more of a mantra cry than anything so I didn't put my hand on him when he did that. It took about 25mins for him to go to sleep from start to finish. Am I doing it right? Thanks. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 8month old PD, how long to keep hand on
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 22:02:16 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

Sounds like you did great :)

If you are only just starting sleep training you can expect LO to get frustrated and to let you know about it, after all he has known another way of sleeping for 8 months and suddenly all change.  There is also often some improvement seen over a few days and then a regression where things suddenly seem to get worse again, hang in there through that, support him more if he needs it but try to have faith that it is just a regression and things will come back again.

You can help your LO as much as you need to, there is no problem with being in the room or having a hand on him all the way to sleep if needed (which can be gradually weaned) but what you have described is fine.

Hope that helps