Author Topic: Hand munching and refusal of the boob!  (Read 2063 times)

Offline dinakab

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 23, 2017, 04:54:50 am »
Here we are again with another feeding issue! My LO - who is 2 months and 3 weeks and has silent reflux which we have been treating (been on Gavi for a month and just started Nexium last week)- has developed yet another weird eating habit. She will come to BF, eat for around 5-8 minutes then pop off the breast and just look around or up at me and smile. When I come to put her back on the breast she will whine and refuse it. This whining is not the same as her screaming because of reflux...its completely different. It doesnt involve crying, just a whine and refusal to eat. I will then stop and try and burp her, and she usually starts putting her hands in her mouth. So I just assume she is hungry and try again but she wont budge.

A- Is this normal?
B- Does this mean she has had enough?
C- Her munching on her hand, does it mean she is still hungry or has she just discovered her hands? (She has been putting her fists in her mouth for the past few days during Activity time)

(Oh forgot to mention...she did this this morning again so I pumped and tried to give her and she flat out refused!)

Any advice is much welcomed!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Hand munching and refusal of the boob!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 20:42:06 pm »
Are you offering the second breast too?

Sounds like she's just had enough and is finding comfort in her hands.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline dinakab

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 03:21:35 am »
I am single side feeding but because of what has been happening I have started offering her the other breast but she also refuses. I thought there might be something wrong with my milk supply so I expressed and my yield was very good so that's another factor eliminated.

We just woke up for the morning and i tried feeding her, she took 3 minutes and then was off and staring at everything and anything and simply refusing the boob again!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 08:40:27 am »
Sounds like she's reached the distractable stage.  Just follow her cues and offer a feed again whenever she does want it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 12:18:55 pm »
My dd also started feeding 5min from about 2 months old. Just a super efficient feeder. If she’s not hungry any more she’ll just bob on and off then start getting mad. After a big GS I started offering both sides and she can polish off both in under 10min.

Offline dinakab

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 17:42:05 pm »
@Eva I thought she might be an efficient eater as well but what if Im wrong and there's something else that's up...I would hate to be the cause of her not eating...we are going tomorrow to her Dr. for a follow up check up for her reflux so will ask her...praying it's just like you said!

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 19:11:43 pm »
Check how many wet nappies you are changing in a day, that’s a good indicator if they are getting enough.
Fingers x the dr visit goes well!

Offline dinakab

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 15:36:06 pm »
Diaper wise we are good, plenty of wet and dirty diapers  :)
Saw the Dr. today and we weighed LO...she has gained weight (thank God!) but not as much as she should have (especially since we have started Naxium she should be eating way more than before)...she's also dropped on her growth chart. Our Dr. thinks she might be facing a problem with the texture of my milk not the taste...she wants me to solely pump for a day and add gaviscon to each bottle to see if thickening the milk will improve her eating. We also discussed formula and I'm pretty set on starting her on it (since I also go back to work pretty soon)...based on our pumping trial she will suggest which type of Aptamil to use.

Let's see where this takes us...