Author Topic: Hand holding and advice pls  (Read 13055 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Hand holding and advice pls
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 08:03:07 am »
Still struggling at the 30min mark and needs lots of rocking to get her back to sleep. It’s been 4 days in the new routine.

Thursday
Wu 8.00 A1.55
S 9.55
WU 11.50
S14.15 2h
WU 16.20
S 18.15 20min we had guests
S BT 19.45
NF 22,2,5, ew 6 resettled - this was a pretty good night

WU 7.47
S 9.47
WU 11.40 very unsettled s, resettled at 30min, 40min hiccuping and took ages to get her back asleep, don’t know if I can even count this as a 2h nap with all the shenanigans
S 13.40
Wu 15.50
S 17.50 30min
Bt 7.50 But I couldn’t get her to sleep till 8.30
Nw 11,1,2,3,4,5 - aaaaa she’s torturing me!
This may have been my fault, I tried a df at 11 and she ended up waking. Is that why she kept waking every hour after?

Wu 7.45

Another thing I’ve noticed is that she’s shifting her calories. 3nf then she’s not hungry till 10-11 am. I guess that’s pretty typical for this age. I’m fine with 3 NF as long as that’s it.

She was checked by a dr on Thursday and she’s a picture of health. She did however drop a bit on the centiles - was 10th now between 3rd and 10th, dr said it’s probably due to the illness and that’s why she’s making up for it at night. But as I said, 3nf are fine.

Keep at it with the new routine despite the 30min WU?

Offline eva026

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 10:05:20 am »
Just wondering, can I swaddle? Maybe just wrapping her arms if o stay near her when she sleeps? She started rolling sides rather early and I stopped but I do recall this helping her sister at this age.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 22:50:24 pm »
This may have been my fault, I tried a df at 11 and she ended up waking. Is that why she kept waking every hour after?
Possibly, could be pain too - its unusual to wake that frequently.

I wonder if she's shifting not only her calories but her night as well...

Are naps getting any easier? There's plenty of resettling happening from what I'm reading but is there improvement?

If you can stay with her and watch her, that's ok - its just not safe to swaddle when they can roll then leave them unattended.

Offline eva026

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 06:53:28 am »
Naps are good, we are on a consistent routine of 2x2 and a CN so life is actually possible to plan now.
Yesterday was a bit chaotic because grandpa came to hang some shelves so she did A2h,S1.30,  A2h S40min. A2h, S2h and BT 2 h later in theory, in practice DH tried to put her to sleep and that was a fail so stepped in and her final A was 2.30h. Nw 910pm because of OT for sure. NF1,3,5 - not a bad night I’d say. It’s 7.50 and she’s still sleeping.

I don’t feel like she’s shifting her night, she’s pretty consistent with WU 7.30-8am and BT 7.30-8pm
Her nw are not happy and chatty at all, rather she grunts, whimpers, thrashed about. It does keep bringing me back to pain, like you said. Teeth so early?

I’ll keep on and hopefully the 30min resettle at naps will be better, not full on crying and the I can work on putting her to sleep not in my arms. It works well for BT now.

Offline becj86

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 10:07:17 am »
Her nw are not happy and chatty at all, rather she grunts, whimpers, thrashed about. It does keep bringing me back to pain, like you said. Teeth so early?
Could be teeth. I note that its all after the NF at ~1am... Perhaps wind pain also, even babies who cope well with feeds through the day can gulp a bit in MOTN feeds when your supply is a bit higher and cause themselves wind pain, then they're desperate to feed and gulp again and the cycle repeats. I presume you're burping her after NFs? Can also try lying back a bit to feed at that 1am feed and see if that helps.

Offline eva026

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 10:50:03 am »
Er... no actually I haven’t been burping her at all at night. She’s right next to me so I can her here starting to root around and feed before she’s desperate. Her feeds at nights are much slower and she doesn’t suck hard at all. Will try burping tonight though.
She woke at 8, first feed at 10am! So 5h since the NF. Think her sister being on top of her all morning did nothing to help.

Offline eva026

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 11:04:34 am »
Ok bringing out the teething gel, she’s still not eating. She had a tiny bit befor her nap 2h ago and won’t have more now.

Offline becj86

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 21:02:30 pm »
Her feeds at nights are much slower and she doesn’t suck hard at all.
If your letdown is stronger at night/flow is stronger due to increased supply, she may not need to as the milk can squirt out at her, causing her to swallow air and milk to keep up with the milk flow.

Hope the teething gel helps!

Offline eva026

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 08:15:51 am »
The night was fantastic, best we’ve had since these problems started 6 weeks ago. She fell asleep 20.15 and only 2 NF at 2am and 5am. I’m not getting my hopes up that it will always be like this though.
Still having feeding issues though. She last ate at 5am, it’s 9.15 and she won’t feed, despite the gel. Honestly if it’s not one thing it’s another!

Offline becj86

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 01:17:27 am »
Is she sick at all? I hope not, but sometimes LO goes off their food before illness becomes obvious. Wondering re: reflux too - sometimes that can have LO's wanting to feed frequently at night and not wanting as much through the day.

Offline eva026

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 06:39:03 am »
I hope not! I was thinking teeth? Her night was also really unsettled, lots of nw.
Reflux, not sure. Would reflux present one night and not another? She hardly ever spits up or shows any kind of pain after feeding. Usually her feeds are 3h apart. Yesterday she did 4h then every 2 towards evening. We ended up with 5 day feeds - think that’s ok? Don’t know how many NF, lost count 😖. I think she woke every 2h or so, some I could stroke her and she eventually fell asleep, other times I resorted to feeding.
Her easy is definitely on track, we are on a nice 4h easy, she goes to sleep BT a tad OT (sister is home then DH arrives to I can’t always start putting her to sleep when I should) but not very.
The odd thing is it’s so inconsistent. One night will be good, then 2 bad, then good again etc.

I’ve got BT down, rock till she stops crying (she always fusses when it’s time to sleep), then lay her down on my arm - usually starts fussing again, finally when she stops I slip her off my arm and shhh/stroke till she’s asleep. Think that’s moving in the right direction?

Naps I only hold and stroke, tiny bit of rocking at the transitions if she starts crying.

Do you think I can start sleep training some naps not others? Like most mornings should be ok,besides weekends? Or sleep train only on days I know I have time to make up the sleep ?
Still tempted to wait till 6 months... maybe I’m just putting off the inevitable

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:54:30 am by eva026 »

Offline becj86

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 23:27:47 pm »
Sounds like you might have a bit of an UT/OT cycle going over a few days.

I reckon she may need to move on from 2hr A times a little bit, say to 2:15. That may cut down on the fussing at sleep time and help with transitions.

Yes, you can ST for some naps and not others, plenty of babies make 'per nap' habits, so get used to certain naps in the crib and others in the pram/car/carrier, etc. The best time to ST is when there's a solid routine in place and LO is already in the habit of sleeping at those times, takes some unknowns out of the equation. I ST my DS at around this age and it was done very quickly because we had a great routine that suited him well already in place.

Offline eva026

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 06:39:54 am »
2.10? She’s only been on 2A a week and is still waking at 30min needling to be put to sleep.
Yesterday:
WU 7.30 A2h
S2h
A 2h
S 2
A 2.h
S30min
BT 7..30 after A1.30 fell asleep 7.45
Woke 8.30, 9.30ish, 10, 2, 4,5-or6 not sure
Up for the day 7.20
The A before the CN was in the bus picking DD1 up from kindergarten so I expected OS
So I’ll do A2.10 this morning
Oh and I fed her at every nw this time, because of my breast issues
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:45:15 am by eva026 »

Offline eva026

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 19:31:54 pm »
WU 7.20
S 9.30
WU 10.00 can’t resettle
S 11.30 - she’s a wreck so tired
13.00 wu drilling grr
S15.00
Wu 17.30
Bt 19.30 - Still not asleep and Its 20.30!
Im going to have to just leave her in the cot because I have DD1 to bath and get in bed.
What is going on???
Dh is in there trying and I feel like an awful mom because I just can’t take it any more. Between the sleepless night, evenings spent in and out of her room and no time to spend with DD1 not to mention time to try do something about my plugged duct, im just out of patience
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 19:55:28 pm by eva026 »

Offline becj86

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 21:36:29 pm »
Ok, sorry, I didn't realise you were resettling at 30min still. Leave it at 2hr then. She seems pretty HSN then. Good to know ;)

You're leaving her in the very capable hands of the man you chose to have children with. That's not being a terrible mum. Its been a trying day, its ok to have had enough - you have left her safe and cared for whilst you do other mum jobs. You're a great mum, doing your best and its good. Hugs for the rough day xx