Author Topic: Is my 16mo over-eating?!?!?!?!?  (Read 4887 times)

Offline SaraMamma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 28, 2017, 09:44:27 am »
Hi mums,

I am overthinking at the moment my DS's feeding habits.

I am wondering whether he's eating too much... how do I know whether he's a bit overweight? My husband says he has a belly, but it's not that floppy fat belly, it's like solid. I just thought it was the physique of a 16month old, but now I have doubts!  :-\

Here's what my DS generally eats:

7:15am breakfast - 1 1/2 slice of wholemeal seeded bread with peanut butter (just a thin layer, 100% peanuts, no added anything) and mashed fruit. Sometimes he likes to have a few extra pieces my husband gives him, with butter (I'm not a friend of butter  ::) )

9:30 morning tea - 1/2 cup fresh fruit

11:40 lunch -  a bowl of pasta, generally with some mashed veggies and lentils/cheese OR 1 slice of bread with avocado, cheese and a bit ham; PLUS little side of tomatoes with olive oil

3:30pm afternoon tea - 1/2 slice bread with avocado or mashed fruit + a few pieces of fresh fruit (like, 2 strawberries or 1/2 banana...)

5:45 dinner - generally fish, lentillballs or other kind of proteins (about 60grams) + 1 full cup veggies (he loves them) and a few pieces of pasta (literally, 5-6 pieces)

7pm goodnight milk, about 150ml

What do you think??? He's a quite active baby, he moves a lot as a normal 16mo I guess...

He's about 81cm now and around 11.5kg I think. Is the "full belly" effect normal? I do not want to put my baby on a diet!!!
Don't they say babies know when they are full? When does that skill disappear?

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Is my 16mo over-eating?!?!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:58:37 am »
To me that looks like a fantastically healthy diet! LOs are all sorts of different shapes and sizes - some eat loads and are skinny and some carry some extra chub lol. If you are worried could you go to your local clinic?

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 14:44:52 pm »
Yes I agree with PP, sounds like you have a wonderful healthy eater on your hands!  I wouldn’t change a thing :)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 19:47:53 pm »
Sounds fab they all change so much enjoy his healthy appetite. My DS1 ate everything in site and was and still is skinny at nearly 6, DS2 at nearly 2 is picky and fussy eats hardly anything some days and is a little chub lol   ;D
Zoe

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 21:49:18 pm »
between 1 and 2 they need loads of calories so that sounds reasonable.  toddlers have big organs in comparison so their bells protrude. be more worried about rolls. but they grow out of it this age.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 15:39:22 pm »
Don't they say babies know when they are full? When does that skill disappear?
My personal opinion is that the skill remains so long as the healthy food is offered and healthy eating habits modelled. The skill can be lost when poor food or poor habits are introduced.

Offline SaraMamma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 02:17:57 am »
Thank you, all of you!

I know, I might be overthinking it... He's not chubby really and has no little rolls, just that belly protruding  a bit.

I should not complain, really, he is a good eater and has a good appetite for the right things, so I'll just shut hubby up next time he calls him chubby! ;)

Thank you all again!