Author Topic: 8 month old -Is 4/5am considered night feeding and shold I try eliminating this?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Alina.fluturas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0

My 8 month old wakes up only once to feed between 4 and 5 am. - this is when he is not in a leap - when in leap he wakes earlier.
Sometimes he doesn't go back to sleep after this feed, or it's a struggle to get him back to sleep.
Should I consider trying to eliminate this feed, Is this realistic for an 8 month old? I wouldn't really know how to eliminate it but that's a different question.
His solid intake is ok-ish and is breastfed at present but intend to wean on formula at around 10 months.
He goes to bed around 7/7.30pm.

Thank you

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
It can still be normal to need a NF at this age, so I'd feed if it were me in your shoes, however I wonder if it may be routine-related given the difficulty you have getting LO back to sleep - may be time to look at increasing at least the first A time to encourage better sleep through those early hours of the morning.

If you wanted to, you could try reducing the number of minutes you feed every few days til you're just resettling him at that waking but I suspect it'll drop on its own given his other NFs presumably have up until now.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
One night feed at 8mo is normal and no need to force eliminating it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Alina.fluturas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you very much, I didn't think I should eliminate it but I thought I'd see what others think!